09

--------

--------

Alice had laid out a blanket for her and Laurie to sit on, the woman writing short poems while he stared up at the sky. "Laurie, when are you going back to your grandfather?" Alice questions as she looks to him.

"Very soon." Laurie says causing Alice to raise a brow. "You've said that a dozen times in the past month." Alice retorts. "Short answers save trouble." Laurie snaps back, Alice looking at him in shock, then shaking her head with a chuckle.

"Well, he is expecting you, so why don't you do it?" Alice questions. "Natural depravity, I suppose." Laurie says as he sits up with a slight shrug. "Natural indolence, you mean." Alice says as she looks up at him quickly, then writing something down.

"I'll only plague him if I go, so I might as well stay and plague you longer." Laurie says as he scoots closer. "You can bear it. In fact, I think it agrees with you." Laurie says as he goes to cup her face with her hands, the woman smiling softly as she moves his hands away.

"Stop it. Stop." She says as she shuts the journal, looking back up to him. "What are you doing?" Alice questions as she notices the glint in his eyes. "I'm looking at you." Laurie says causing her to scoff slightly.

"I mean, what do you intend to do?" Alice says. "With life?" Laurie questions, Alice humming in response. "I've been writing an opera. I would be the central figure." Laurie says, Alice humming distastefully. 

Laurie chuckled as he laid back once again. "What would you have me do?" Laurie questions as he looks up to the woman who stared right back down to him. 

"Go and work for your grandfather and make something of yourself." Alice says. "You're not playing fair." Laurie says as he stands, Alice standing as well as she opened her journal to the last page she was on, handing it to him.

"Here." She says as he reads the page, his eyes widening a bit as he read the beautiful words written on the parchment. "That's... That's very good." Laurie says as he looks in front of him, seeing the woman smile softly. "Thank you." She says as she moves back to put her journal down.

"What is your supposed betrothed doing hm?" Laurie hums as she walks back over to him. "He's in London on business. He'll be back in a few weeks." Alice says as she shrugs slightly.

"Don't marry him." Laurie says, it wasn't as if Alice planned on it, but she was still confused. "What?" She questions in shock.

"Don't marry him." Laurie says as he steps closer to her. "Why?" Alice questions as she takes a step back. "Why? You know why." Laurie says as he reaches out to her but she moves away.

"No. No." She starts but he refutes her, she woman staring at him harshly. "No. Laurie. You're being mean. Stop it. Stop it." Alice says. "What? How am I being mean?" Laurie questions, Alice tearing up.