07

6 years previously

6 years previously

--------

Alice was sat with Aunt March, it was rather late in the evening but Aunt March insisted. "My dear, you have a wonderful talent." Aunt March says as she looks through the girl's notebook, Alice's eyes widening.

"Thank you, Aunt March." Alice says as she sits down next to her aunt. "Alice. Would you ever consider studying abroad with me?" Aunt March questions, Alice's eyes widening.

"I-I would love to Aunt March." Alice says as she nods her head excitedly. "Very well dear, now do go away, I am awful tired." Aunt March says, Alice nodding and rushing to her room in her aunt's house.

The next morning Alice walked inside full of happiness, but when she saw Jo rush out with Laurie, her heart dropped. "Jo you promised I could come last time. Jo!" Amy shouts after her sister as Alice walked in.

"Is she going to be like this forever?" Amy questions, Alice not having a clue what went wrong. "It was a very hard loss for her." Beth says softly as Alice takes her seat. "Is there nothing I can do?" Amy says, her voice showing an immense sadness.

Meg shifts to be closer to Amy, looking to her other two sisters. "Go after her. Don't say anything til Jo has gotten good-natured with Laurie, and then just say some kind thing. I'm sure you'll be friends again." Meg says.

Amy rushed off and Alice helped with the dishes. "That's what you always do with me." Alice says as she raises a brow to her oldest sister. "Does it not work every time?" Meg questions, Alice nodding. But when Laurie and Jo burst through the door with a soaking wet and cold Amy, Alice's heart dropped.

"Get some blankets and warm water." Alice orders her sisters as she helps Amy to the bathroom, Laurie watching on in slight awe. Granted yes, he had feeling for Jo, but his feelings for Alice were different, he just didn't know that yet.

"Oh my sweet." Alice says as Marmee tucked the girl in that night. JO looks to Alice, and the younger girl nodded, giving Jo a moment with their mother. 

Alice walked outside and saw Laurie walking down the path. "Theo!" She shouts causing him to turn, and almost immediately rush over to the girl. "Thank you for helping Amy." Alice says as she wraps her arms around the boy, Laurie holding her close. "You're welcome." Laurie says softly.

Laurie and Alice had begun to go places with one another again. Alice took him on adventures through the forest, and he took her to libraries to read Shakespeare.

"I've never understood the concept of Romeo and Juliet." Laurie says, Alice looking over at him from the spot she sat. "It's about being so incredibly in love with someone, that you'd be willing to give up all that you are for them." Alice says as Laurie looks to her.

"I might understand how they feel." Laurie says, Alice raising a brow. "Is thee Theodore Laurence in love?" Alice questions playfully. "I might be." Laurie says as he watches Alice continue reading her book.

That summer Meg was invited to a debutante ball, Alice stood next to Amy who rested by the carriage. "I don't know how to repay you." Meg says softly as she approached with Mr. Laurence.

"Nonsense, nonsense." Mr. Laurence says before a pause. "Although there is one thing. It occurred to me today that my daughter's piano suffers from want of use. Any of your girls like to run over and practice on it now and then? Just to keep it in tune. If they don't care to come, why, then never mind." Mr. Laurence says as Alice sends a soft look to her youngest sister.

"Oh, sir, they do care. Very, very much." Beth says, Alice's smile widening at her sister. "You're the musical girl, huh?" Mr. Laurence questions.

"I love it dearly. And I'll come if you are quite sure nobody will hear me and be disturbed." Beth says. "Not a soul, my dear." Mr. Laurence says, Beth grinning and shying away back to Marmee and Hannah.

Everyone began saying their good-byes, Alice smiling as she waved. "Have fun Meg!" She exclaims as they followed after the carriage before reaching the gate. "Oh, I miss her already." Alice says softly.

The next day Alice had walked with Beth over to Mr. Laurence's home, both of them walking through the large halls.

"Wow." Alice says softly as she looks at all of the instruments in the room, Beth sitting by the piano. Alice smiled as she watched her youngest sister get lost in the melodies she produced herself, none of them taking note of Mr. Laurence standing by the staircase.

When Beth had finished her first song she grinned up at her older sister. "Oh Beth, that was beautiful." Alice says as Beth flushed, but began playing another melody.

After that first day they had continued to come back every day, Alice wrote poetry in her notebook while Beth played beautifully on the piano.