03

7 years previously

7 years previously

--------

It was Christmas morning, Alice was downstairs as she helped Meg decorate the house. "Merry Christmas!" Jo exclaims as she rushes downstairs, papers in hand. Their annual play.

"Merry Christmas." Meg says as Alice rushes over and hugs her sister, Jo wrapping her arms around her sister. "Give me another orange." Amy orders Beth who turned to Alice. "The basket." Alice says causing Beth to nod.

"Jo, we've been up for hours. What have you been writing?" Meg questions curiously. "Oh, I got carried away with our revenge play last night, Poison." Jo says as she grabs one of the throw pillows next to Alice who grinned.

"No, no poison. It's Christmas." Amy complains. "Won't be Christmas without any presents." Jo says as she uses the pillow and lies on the floor. "It's dreadful being poor." Meg says softly.

"It's not fair. How come some girls have pretty things and others have nothing?" Amy questions. "We have Father, Mother and each other." Beth says.

"We're all we need. If we become ungrateful with what we have lying in front of us, we will soon become greedy for insignificant affairs." Alice says as she holds a pillow close to her chest.

"A true Shakespeare lives amongst us." Jo says as she grins to her little sister. "But even then dearest sister, we haven't got Father as long as this war drags on." Jo says causing Alice to look down sadly.

"I wish I had money and plenty of servants, so I never had to work." Meg says as Jo sits up in front of her. "Or you could be a proper actress. They aren't all fallen women." Jo says, eventually sitting back down against Meg's legs.

"I can't be an actress." Meg says, Alice sending her a look. "I have lots of wishes, but my favorite one is to be an artist in Paris and do fine pictures and be the best painter in the world." Amy says, using her hands to gesture her true wishes.

"That's what you want, Jo, to be a famous writer?" Beth questions from her position on the floor. "Yes, but it sounds crass when she says it." Jo says, Alice shaking her head. "Why be ashamed?" Amy exclaims. "I'm not." Jo says as she crawls to be next to Beth.

"My wish is to have us all be together with Father and Mother." Beth says a Jo hugs her. "That's what I want." Amy says as she sits in the chair. "What about your music, huh?" Jo questions. "I do that for us. I don't need anyone else to hear it." Beth says.

"You must not limit yourself." Alice says, this made her sisters turn to her. "What about you Miss Shakespearean poet? Plan on pursuing that dream?" Jo questions as she crawls over. "As a profession? God, I wish." Alice says softly as she looks outside.

"Mother proposed not having presents this year because men are suffering in the Army. We can't do much, but we can make our little sacrifices and do it gladly." Meg says, but gasps as Jo throws a pillow at her.