Ta

I was at the tattoo shop, getting new ink on my arm when my phone rang. I answered it via my ear pods, and it was Barcode. He said Jeff Phi was asking for my number and asked if it was OK for him to pass on my number.

I agreed and hung up, wondering why Phi wanted my number. I don't think we had any work assignments together, not that I could recall.

It was another full hour before my artist completed my tattoo. I paid him and made my appointment for the follow-up session.

I was walking towards the subway when an unfamiliar number popped up on my phone.

"Hello?"

"Ta? Jeff here."

"Phi? Hello Phi, how are you?"

"I'm good. Are you busy? I got your number from Barcode. I hope it's fine."

"Yes Phi, don't worry. He asked me and I am OK with that. What's up, Phi?"

"I wanted to treat you for a meal. Thanks to your advice, I managed to get the lyrics down. I am definitely going to rework the tune but my lyrics finally sync!"

"That's good to hear Phi! Don't worry about it. I just wanted to help if I could. I'm glad to hear you got it sorted. Don't worry about the meal. You don't have to do all that."

"Oh Ta, I couldn't. It's just a simple one. Please? Don't say no?"

I halted a bit but eventually agreed. I mean, a free meal. Why not? We agreed to do dinner and he asked me to pick a place. I picked this steakhouse and told him. He said he will meet me there around 7pm. I agreed, going home to shower, changed into something comfortable, pulled on a pair of sneakers and left.

Jeff was waiting there when I pulled up around 7pm. I had borrowed my dad's car so that I would reach on time. Jeff nodded and smiled at me, his curls hiding under a cap. Dinner was a fun affair though it was my first time ever out with Phi. He was really such a funny guy as Barcode had always described.

His jokes were funny, impersonations on point and he had a lame sense of humour that just tickled me. We spent nearly 3 hours at dinner before leaving. I offered Phi a ride but he declined as he was meeting some friends for a drink at the bar nearby.

"Let me give you a ride to the bar then Phi. Its on the way anyways."

"You sure, Ta? Thanks alot though."

"No problem Phi. Its a small thing."

I drove over to the bar. Jeff got out and he bent down to say goodbye. I smiled as I waved goodbye to him when his friend came by.

"Jeffffff my boy! You are here! Who's this?"

His friend peeked down to say hi to me too. I nodded politely and got out of the car to greet Phi's friend properly. He looked at me and cocked his head.

"Aren't you that Macau kid?"

I nodded, smiling away. Jeff just looked on like a proud dad.

"Well you did good in that other show too, Dead Friend Forever? You had a good role and you nailed it. Keep it up!"

"Thank you Phi. That's really kind of you. Have fun tonight. And you too, Phi."

I waved at Jeff and was about to get into my car when his friend stopped and asked me to join them. I smiled but rejected politely as I was driving. His friend wanted to convince me but Jeff stopped him.

"Hey. No. He's still very young. Don't want him drinking with us. Its not right. You get home safe Ta. Be careful, na."

I nodded, thanking his friend again for the invite and left. I texted Phi once I was home but he only replied around 3am when he was on the way home. I was gaming when his message came through.

"Hello Phi, do you need a ride home?"

"It's ok Ta. I got an Uber. I'm on it now. Heading home."

"That's good. Rest well, na."

"Will do Ta. By the way, my friend earlier was hoping to know you. He asked me to ask you if its ok for him to text you. Hmm, are you ok with it?"

I kept quiet, not sure exactly. I was flattered by the attention but I also wasn't that keen.

"Hmm Phi.. I'm just not interested..its not your friend. Its just me.."

"Don't worry Ta. I completely get it. Thank you for being honest. I wasn't too keen on my friend knowing you too. He's a nice guy but parties way too much too. I wasn't sure if he will be a good fit for you but I just had to ask to be supportive."

I thanked Phi for his honesty and our texts ended there. I went back to gaming but I kept glancing at my phone subconsciously to see if Jeff would text when he got home.

For some reason when a messagse flitted in 15 minutes later, I involuntarily smiled.