Chapter 9

An hour passed. Danielle, Mark, and Grace enjoyed themselves as they talked and laughed. Rex sat up, listening and giving his doggy smile.

 It wasn't long, however, until Mark got a mind-link from the Alpha. His eyes went wide in shock and concern, his smile faded.

 "Mark? What's wrong?" Danni asked, placing her hand on his arm.

 "We need to get to the hospital. Now." he said quickly.

 "What do you mean? What's going on?" Grace asked, frowning.

 "It's Hudson. Rogues attacked while he was training." 

 Danni's eyes went wide. Grace was confused and worried. Very confused and worried. Danni nodded quickly, standing up. Rex seemed to understand something bad had happened to Hudson and stood up to help his mistress. Danni grabbed Grace's wheelchair and helped her into it.

 "Ok, I don't understand what's happening. What happened to Hudson?? What are rogues?? What was he training for?" she asked impatiently.

 "We'll explain later, I promise." Danielle told her. She looked up at Mark. "Take her out to the car. I'll get the car keys and Rex's leash." Mark nodded and did as she asked. 

 As they drove, Danielle asked Mark how bad it was. 

 "It wasn't too bad. His leg was pretty badly hurt though. He won't be training or anything for a little while." he replied.

 "Will someone please tell me what in the wide world is going on?!!" Grace exclaimed. She was frustrated, confused, and very worried about Hudson. She had no idea why she felt this way. I mean, they hadn't known each other very long. A few days at the most, maybe.

 Dannielle sighed, looking over at her mate in the driver's seat. "We need to tell her. She needs to know." she said quietly. 

 "I know...You're right..." Mark nodded.

 "What do I need to know?? Danni-"

 "Grace, this is going to be a lot to take in. It's very complicated and hard to understand for some. Just...promise me you won't freak out and you won't interrupt me while I'm talking." Danni turned in her seat to look back at her friend.

 "Ok...?" Grace nodded slowly, looking down at Rex. 

 Rex's POV:

 I could hear the tone of my girl's voice. She was scared and worried about Hudson. But she was also confused and frustrated. She had no idea what was going on. I don't know a lot about rogues. But, I am pretty sure they are wolves who don't live in packs. I guess they don't like packs and sometimes attack them...?

 Anyway, Danni sighed before looking at Grace seriously. I knew she was about to tell her what she had been hiding. "Mark, Hudson, and I are werewolves. Mark and Hudson are warriors for this pack."

 "W-werewolves?? P-pack?? Warriors??" Grace stared at her, her eyes wide.

 "Yes, Grace." Mark's voice spoke. He didn't look back at her, but his tone was serious. "You've been living in the Shooting Star Pack since you moved in with Danielle. In a pack, there are four leaders. The first, is like the king. He's the Alpha. The second, is basically like the queen. She's the Luna. The third is the second in command to the Alpha. He's the Beta. And last but not least, the third in command to the Alpha. The Gamma."

 "Warriors are like knights in a kingdom. They protect the pack, the Alpha, Luna, Beta, and Gamma." Danni continued. Grace nodded slowly, trying to take all this information in. I was listening intently. I wanted to learn more.

 "Us werewolves have what we call, mates. It's short for soulmate, which, of course everyone has. But, we find ours in a different way than humans. When we turn sixteen, we can recognize them on sight. And, by their scent."

 "T-their scent...?" Grace asked shakily.

 "Yes. Everyone has a specific scent to them. But they basically have two. Like, you have the scent of a human. Every wolf can smell it. But, your second scent is something only your mate can smell." Mark answered.

 "M-my m-mate...?" Grace's eyes were wide.

 "Yes, Grace. And your mate, it's Hudson."

 "Hudson?!" Grace exclaimed, staring at Danni and Mark.

 "Yes. The feelings your feeling with him, it's because he's your mate. You are feeling what we call the mate bond. It's a bond that pulls you both together. There's a lot more to explain about our kind and mates, but we'll explain that later." Danni told my girl.

 "Rogues are wolves who do not live in packs. Some are actually nice. They aren't bad. But most are. They attack packs and the wolves that live there. They're strong and agile. Tough opponents. It's hard to fight them off sometimes." Mark said.

 "A-and Hudson was attacked by one of those things?!" Grace was thoroughly freaked out. I put my paw on her leg and my head in her lap. Grace looked at me and pet me slowly, taking deep, calming breaths. "Is he alright...?"

 "He's alright. His leg is pretty bad though." Mark reassured her. "But, there is one more thing you need to know right now about mates."

 "W-what is it..?" Grace asked slowly.

 "If the mates don't want each other, or if one doesn't want the other, they can reject them. It will snap the bond. But, it will cause pain for both the one doing the rejecting, and the one receiving the rejection."

 Third Person POV:

 Grace stared at Danielle and Mark. She looked down at Rex, who seemed to nod. He seemed to understand what was happening. She thought about Hudson. She thought about Mark's words. She was already catching feelings for Hudson. Fast. The thought of him not wanting her hurt her heart. 

 "Please hurry..." she finally spoke quietly. She was anxious and confused. She sat there in the back of the car for the rest of the ride in a daze, trying to comprehend all she'd just been told.