Chapter 33: Roar of the Salmonids

After a few minutes of walking, Akikta found where Nakji and the others had gone.

They were all in an enormous dark room—a room that Akikta recognized. It was where those chinooks led him, Nakji, and Inka when they first arrived in Atlantis. Aside from the lack of salmonids, it didn't look much different from before.

Now that he thought about it, there were hardly any salmonids on his way here. If this was supposed to be the heart of Atlantis, where were all the loyalists? Did they all run off scared when they sensed Boris coming? Considering the circumstances, that seemed likely.

Akikta looked up at the walls of the room. The place reminded him of a massive arena—kind of like the decrepit one they fought The Great Maw in, only without stands, and much more maintained.

After taking in the scenery, he turned to see what the others were up to. Each one was preparing for the grand finale in their own way.

In one part of the arena was the captain and agent 3. Coral was stretching, which confused Akikta since she shouldn't have any joints to loosen up. Meanwhile, Metta repeatedly checked on Little Buddy, unnecessarily worried for the smallfry.

In the other part of the arena, Misaki sat like the thinker, possibly contemplating every life choice that brought her to this point. Eight was also sitting with Misaki, though rather than being deep in thought, she was polishing her weapon and checking it over as much as Metta was checking on Little Buddy.

A short distance behind the four agents was an upper part of the arena, elevated via a short staircase. The staircase led up to a large golden throne. The crest rail was in the shape of a crown, while the ends of the armrests resembled the heads of salmonids.

Standing next to the throne was Nakji, who was meticulously polishing her blade, giving it a nice shine. She was the first to notice Akikta and gave him a nod.

He walked towards her, passing the other agents, who also nodded at him in acknowledgment. It seemed like everyone was less talkative now. He couldn't blame them. This was probably going to be the biggest fight of their lives. Well, it'd be the biggest fight of his life for sure. For Nakji and the agents, it was probably just another Friday.

He stopped at the top of the stairs, staring at Nakji. "You nervous?"

She shook her head. "Why would I be?"

Akikta shrugged his shoulders. "We might die."

"There's only one person who'll be dying. And we both know who that is."

Confidence. I like it. Akikta nodded in agreement before turning and sitting on the golden throne.

It was a size too big for him, obviously meant for the oversized salmon lord. Still, Akikta figured he'd make himself comfortable while waiting.

His fingers tapped the armrests as he shifted about on the throne. The longer he waited, the more anxious he grew. He had a feeling something bad was going to happen. Why?

Because you haven't taken your "friends" out.

Akikta furrowed his eyebrows. He should've known. It wasn't him feeling anxious at all. You chose a bad time to pop out, Aku.

I think not. The ink demon disagreed as Akikta closed his eyes. The others will kill you when they get the chance. We must take them out first.

Akikta couldn't help but exhale an annoyed sigh. What's the matter with you? Huh? They've been nothing but a great help, and all you can think about is how they're going to backstab us.

That is exactly what happened with your other friend. Is it not?

Akikta gritted his teeth, offended that Aku could casually compare the two. They're nothing like that monster! He sighed again. Why am I even talking to you? I could be doing a million other things to prepare for Sal right now.