Chapter 5 - On the Run (Part 2)

"Did you hear about that mother?

Broke her daughter's legs in two

And said 'It's too dangerous out there to walk, so

I had to save you'"

- Bruno is Orange by Hop Along, Queen Ansleis

"As life replayed,

We heard a voice proclaim

'Lay your weapons down

They're calling off the war

On account of losing track

Of what we're fighting for'"

- Mars by Sleeping at Last

The blaster fire hit the branch I was resting on, causing it to snap. I was tired, I was in pain, and while falling to the ground, I thought about giving up. But Caleb was still out there. Caleb, who would need all the time he could get to make it to that ship. He was counting on me, if not to help him escape, then to protect him, no matter what. He was counting on me.

I hit the ground hard. Pain shot up from my side again, and I felt something crack in my lower leg. I yelped, tears threatening to spill over from the hot pain, but I pushed them back. I could not be weak, I would not be weak. I slowly stood back up, igniting my now orange lightsaber, favoring my left leg. The lightsaber's blade shone through the floating particles of dust and snow that were shaken up in the fall, causing an eerie glow throughout the clearing. The dark orange color of the saber had subsided near the end, the tip now emanating a bright white, causing an ombre of yellows to appear in the center of the blade. I was curious about the beautiful color change, but decided to table it for later.

I glanced at the two clones I had just fought beside merely a few moments before. How quickly everything had changed. Hunter seemed to be in shook, and I glared at him as he looked to my injured leg, remembering all the clone's concern from the ship ride here. 

"Show no weaknesses, Laiany. Like a wave: strong, powerful, and confident. Always move forward, always continue on", Shaak Ti instructed, her blue lightsaber set to a practice setting, still able to injure, but not able to kill. She had just struck me to the ground, a hot bruise on my arm from the hit.

"Why did you hesitate? You had the advantage, you were on the offensive", she continued, helping me to my feet.

"I didn't want to hurt you", a young version of me stated. I had just been assigned as Master Ti's padawan, and this was one of our first lessons.

"I see. My padawan, there is no room in battle for the past, especially for past emotions. They will make you hesitant, weak, and vulnerable. It could cost you your life. You must learn to look past this. Remember the waves?", she asked. I nodded, eager to please her. "Just like your other emotions, let your past wash away as you fight. You cannot afford to let your connections make you become stagnant in the face of betrayal".

I stood taller, remembering Master Ti's past lesson.

"No emotion, no past connections,", I thought to myself pushing weight back onto my left leg, continuing to glare at Hunter. The limb screamed in pain, and I winced slightly before pressing down harder. Hunter seemed horrified at the action. Good. "No weaknesses".

Noticing Crosshair raise his rifle back up, I wasted no time jumping back into action.

I ran towards the sniper, looking to take out his weapon. I didn't want to hurt him, I just wanted to leave this planet alive. The blue blaster fire sent out showers of green, orange, and white light as it was deflected by my saber. I was reminded of Billaba and how similar this all felt, and almost broke down again right there. Instead, I pushed the feeling aside, just like a wave, and continued on. I flipped behind a rock, gripped a rough ledge in the center, and used the slippery snow to change my course. Crosshair, not expecting this move, had his rifle aimed for the other side. I used this to my advantage, slicing the rifle in two before force pushing him against a tree trunk. I watched his head lull to the side before facing Hunter, saber in a defensive position.