Chapter 4 - On the Run (Part 1)

"Run boy run!

This world is not made for you

Run boy run!

They're trying to catch you"

- Run Boy Run by Woodkid

"What...?", Echo asked to no one in particular. "What just happened?".

"The comm channel is repeating one directive, execute order 66", Tech answered.

"Yeah, I heard that too", Wrecker stated. "What's order 66?".

"I am not certain". The brothers fell into silence, still confused on the scene that took place. Echo glanced over as the covered body of General Billaba was carried to the reg ship.

"Echo, Tech, talk to the reg captain. Find out what you can", Hunter ordered after a moment. "Crosshair, you and I will track down Pavok and the kid and make sure nothing happens to them. Wrecker, stall anyone who tries to follow us". Hunter gestured to Crosshair, and they headed for the treeline.

"Did you notice her saber changed?", Hunter asked Crosshair, trying to make conversation. Crosshair ignored him, focusing on his rifle. "I'm just saying,", Hunter continued, "that you were concerned about her before".

"It doesn't matter", Crosshair responded. "Keep looking".

Hunter rolled his eyes, but continued to look for tracks. Spotting some fallen snow, he signaled Crosshair ahead, following the trail.

....................................................

We sprinted through the woods, away from the valley, away from the troopers Caleb once knew as friends. Who I once knew as friends. In my distraction, I forgot to look where I was going, tripping on a root. I landed hard on the ground, knocking the wind out of me. I covered my mouth to silence my cry of pain as a rock struck the blaster wound on my side. I looked up, blinking the tears away from my eyes, trying to think. Caleb was beside me in an instant, holding my arm to help me up. I continued to look up at the trees, the same treetops from my vision.

"We're going up", I instructed the young padawan before making my way to the nearest tree and beginning to climb. The scene reminded me of another time I was called away to assist Master Kenobi on a battle at the jungle planet Felucia. It was my first time on the field, the first time fighting without Master Ti... 

I stopped my thoughts as I reached a sturdy branch. There was no time to think about that right now; I couldn't get stuck in the past if I wanted to survive. I motioned to Caleb, who was on a nearby tree to rest here. The branch had a good height to it, and it was hidden fairly well from the ground. 

I took the time to brush off the extra dirt on my robes from the fall, pausing as I made it to my hair. I felt my padawan braid, still as neat as ever, my fingers passing over my beads. Grief washed over me again as I though about how I would never get to perform my trials with Master Ti. I would never complete my training; I wouldn't become a sentinel. 

I had failed. The vision the force had given me was meant to prepare me, to warn me, to help me do something, but I wasn't ready. When the time came, I hadn't been able to warn Depa. Maybe if I had been faster...

Oh, Laia. You're always so focused on what could have been. Like a wave, Laiany. Focus on what is.

I jumped a bit at the voice. I looked around the branches, searching for who had spoken. I peered over at Caleb, not noticing anything different. I stiffened up as I heard the crunch of snow below. I held a finger to mouth, Caleb mimicking the gesture with a nod, and we sank back closer to the trunk, hiding out of view.