67. A Not-So-Fun Game of This or That?

Day 3

Day 3

Kauravas' Camp

Kurukshetra

"You are a monster!"

Bhanumati's eyes teared up, having shocked herself as to what she said. Duryodhan, who was now standing as well, looked at her with an unreadable expression. His fists tightened, as if on impulse, but he let go

"A monster? Not you too," He mumbled, his ears desperately hoping he heard the wrong words.

"How was I the monster? For simply wanting a throne?" He asked, tearing away from her glare. She scoffed. "Not for wanting the throne, but for your ways of trying to get it."

"Everyone struggles for a throne-"

"Do they? You had multiple opportunities to get a throne. But no, you wanted the throne of Kuru's."

He narrowed his eyes at her, trying to shake her words away. Because, whether he liked it or not, they made sense.

"But, Bhanu, they all thought I was undeserving, only because I was born on a bad day. They never even gave me a chance." His voice faded away as he spoke, unsure of how to translate his feelings, which were pretty tangled up, into sentences. He plopped back down on the bed, burying his face into the palms of his hands, which rested on his knees.

"That, surely, was their fault. But, you then had to earn the chance. It was unfair, of course. There are so many unfair things in life, but we have to get over them," Her voice became a whisper as she cautiously came closer, afraid to strike a nerve.

"Life was unfair when you took me in your chariot despite me walking away from you, but I nevertheless consented. We got married and the unfair became fair, once I let it be." She patted his back in an attempt to comfort him, unaware of what he must be feeling.

Though he had never been disrespectful to her, he was an entirely different man in front of the Pandavas. She would have never thought that her loving husband would have even thought of something like the Dyut Sabha, let alone touch another woman's sari with heinous intentions. But mind you, she was doing her best to try and forgive him. To see him as the man she had married, not the monster the Pandavas put up with.

But again, you see, it wasn't easy.

"That was different," Duryodhan sighed. "I have committed crimes, unforgivable even, but I have never felt remorse. This one sabha is causing me to lose so much, I can't even back down now. Dussashan, my closest brother, I have distanced myself from him. Yuyutsu has joined the Pandavas in war. Vikarna barely talks to me, always acknowledges me with a nod, never speaking. Mamashree keeps suggesting the weirdest methods to win this war, most of which I'm sure won't work. Pitamaha and Guru Drona have been forced into my side. It's all chaos."