Trapped

AN:/ sorry this has taken so long. Work is exhausting and I feel like I'm tired even on my days off. And I wanted this to be good and not rushed. Want to give you guys some quality chapters! Here it is!
————————————————————————

María pouted and stomped her foot. "I don't wanna go to school. I wanna hang out with you."

"Mi pequeña paloma por favor. Mamá tiene que ir a trabajar." Sofía told her softly as she was crouched to be on her level. (My little dove, please. Mom has to go to work.)

"¡Quiero pasar tiempo contigo!" She continued. "Te extraño." (I want to spend time with you! I miss you.)

"Oh mi niña valiente." Sofía's heart broke. "Mi próximo día libre. Tú y yo y el muelle. ¿Trato?" (Oh my brave girl. My next day off. You and me and the pier. Deal?)

"And the arcade?" She asked hopefully.

"Of course, mija." Sofía gave her a small smile. "Go put your shoes on."

María nodded and headed off towards her room while Sofía checked her watched and saw she was already late for work.

She pulled out her phone and dialed Bobby's number. "Hey Bobby."

"Everything good?" He asked.

"Yeah, just going to be late. María isn't having a good morning." She admitted to her Captain.

"Don't worry about it. We won't be on the call list for at least another hour or two. Need to do some maintenance and clean up on the trucks after the off shift." Bobby shrugged it off like it wasn't a big deal.

"I'll bring some homemade food on our next shift as an apology." She told him as María finally made her way back out of her room. "Mija, ellas son dos zapatos diferentes." (They are two different shoes.)

"No pude encontrar el par." She shrugged. (I couldn't find the pair.)

"I'm so sorry Captain." Sofía began to apologize.

Bobby was quick to stop her. "Sofía it's okay. Put me on speaker phone, I'll talk to María while you look for her shoes."

"I owe you." Sofía told him before putting him on speaker. "Hey María someone wants to talk to you."

She took the phone in her small hands. "So María so you remember me? I'm your mom's boss, Bobby."

"Yeah! I remember you." She replied as Sofía walked to María's room to search for her missing shoes. "My Mamá really likes her job."

"We really like having her here." Bobby told her smiling to his self. "She's an amazing firefighter."

"She is?" María asked softly.

"She really is. But you're the most important person in her life." Bobby told the girl. "And I'm sure if you tell her something is bothering you, she'll listen."

"I miss her." María told Bobby.

"Mija, I found your shoes." Sofía smiled softly holding up the two shoes that made pairs with the shoes on her feet. "Which one do you want to wear?"

"The pink ones." María cheered excitedly.

"Is Bobby still on the phone?" Sofía asked her daughter who took the pink shoe from her hand.

"Yeah." She nodded, handing her mom the phone. "Here you go."

"Thank you for that." Sofía said into the phone once she took it off speaker.

"Of course. Anything I can do to help." Bobby told her softly a fond smile on his face that Hen noticed.

"I should be there in about 20 minutes." Sofía told him. "I just have to get Mars dropped off at school."