Part Ten

Part Ten

Kissing Malfoy wasn't like kissing George. It was slower, smoother, more like cold fire than burning heat. I'm not sure how long it lasted, but I didn't stop him, and he just kept kissing me. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I noted that his hands were sliding down my waist, farther and farther, and closer to my hips and butt. Again, I was so out of it that I didn't even try to stop him.

Finally, he pulled away slowly and studied my face. I wasn't sure what my expression looked like, but when he smirked wryly, I knew that whatever it was, he must have liked it.

"So, now that you know how I feel, maybe I can see you like this again," he said, his hands sliding back up to my waist again. "And maybe we'll have a bit of a change of scenery."

I shocked myself when I slowly nodded in response rather than kneeing him where the sun doesn't shine, which would have been my normal response to something like this. But there was something about Malfoy, something different. He wasn't like George. Being with him seemed more dangerous, more mischievous, while George was more playful and joked around a lot more. And I really enjoyed both.

"I, uh... I should probably be..."

"Shh," he said, before leaning in for another kiss. This one was more intense, more urgent, more than anything George had ever done. I felt him just barely bite my lower lip as we kissed, and then suddenly, he was kissing my neck, moving from the right the left. Then, I felt his teeth against my skin, and then he was kissing me on my mouth again.

He finally stopped, dropping his hands by his sides. I didn't move for a minute, trying to clear my head, so Malfoy had to lead me from the trophy room into the corridor. By then, I was able to think clearly and I realized that someone was sure to notice both of us coming out of the third floor corridor together. He seemed to read my mind as I had this thought.

"I'll check to see if anyone's around before I leave. Wait about five minutes before you come out, and try to come out when no one is passing. If someone asks you about it, just say you went to look at the trophy room."

I nodded to him as he slipped through the door, and when he didn't come back, I waited five minutes, just as he had said, before peeking through the door. I didn't see anyone on the staircase from where I was, so I quietly slipped through the doorway and closed it as silently as I could. Then, turning to head to the fifth floor and the Ravenclaw common room, I was suddenly hit by the realization of what had just conspired in the trophy room.

In a way, I had just cheated on George Weasely, the first person I had been able to completely be myself with. And I hadn't just cheated with anyone, either; it was Draco Malfoy, someone most of my friends thought of as absolutely hateful and repulsive. I was an awful, terrible person for it, to betray the one that I had possibly been falling in love with, and for all I knew, Malfoy wasn't concerned with long-term or emotions. Possibly, it could be that he was only interested in the here and now benefits. And I could have been giving up everything I had with George for something minor, just a little fling. How did I have the heart, or lack thereof, to do that?

Without a word, I leaned against the door to the third floor and slumped to the floor. Then, for the first time in my life, I began to sob over something other than my lack of true parents.

~~~

An hour must have passed before I heard feet shuffling up the staircase before me. I knew it must be time for all students to be in their dormitories, but I didn't have the nerve or the strength to move from my spot on the stairs. Then, as a feminine figure moved into my line of sight, I tried to dry my eyes on my robes unsuccessfully.

"Miss, what are you doing out after hours?" Professor McGonogall asked, stopping just in front of me. The Transfiguration teacher, she was my favorite professor, and I had near proof that I was one of her favorite students.

"Miss Sparrah, is that you? Are you alright?" she asked, moving a bit closer to me.

Of course, I didn't reply immediately, unsure of what I could say in such a situation as this. I mean, how was I supposed to lightly explain to my professor that I had just snogged Draco Malfoy while I was unofficially George Weaseley's girlfriend? And to top it off, the guilt had already begun gnawing at my stomach and was sure to consume me from the inside out.

I shook my head, sniffing quite loudly, and wiped my face again, attempting to clear the tears on my face once more. Professor McGonogall offered me a hand that I quickly accepted, and she helped me to my feet.

"Now, Miss Sparrah, I think you should accompany me to my office, where we can discuss the reason as to why you are out after lights out. I have a feeling that you have a good reason, though."

I nodded, and we briskly made our way to her office where she sat me in one of the large chairs by the fireplace, its flames still glowing quite animatedly. She sat in the chair opposite me, but after a few minutes of silence, she leaned forward and looked me in the eye.

"Miss Sparrah, I know you to be a very capable and independent young woman, and I don't believe I've ever seen you in such an emotional state before. If I give you my word that I won't speak of it to a single soul, would you mind telling me what must have happened?"

I didn't speak for a minute, but finally, I inhaled deeply before saying, "I think I cheated on the first guy that I've been in a true relationship with, and what's worse is that the one that I cheated with is someone who all of my friends seem to despise. And... And.... And I really, really don't know what to do. I'm a terrible person, I know that, but..." Before I could say anything else, shuddering sobs racked my body, and I buried my face in my hands. Professor McGonogall reached over and patted my shoulder, attempting to comfort me, but I knew there wasn't much that could at this point, short of taking back what I had done.

After a few minutes, I was able to stop the tears from flowing - well, either that, or I had no more tears left to cry - and I dried my puffy eyes with my sleeves.

"Professor, I think I should just go back to my dormitory now, if you don't mind. I'm feeling pretty tired, and I think I need some sleep before tomorrow." I knew she wouldn't believe this excuse, since tomorrow was Sunday and I didn't have any classes, but she didn't try to stop me from leaving. As I made my way to the door, she simply told me that if any other professors or faculty stopped to tell them that I had been with her so that no punishment would be given to me.

~~~

That night, I silently slipped into the common room, not surprised to find that everyone had already gone to bed. I shook my head as I slunk across the room to the staircase that led to the girls' dormitories. When I reached mine, I made my way to my bed, grabbed some clothes to sleep in, slipped onto the bed, and drew the curtains as quietly as I could. As soon as they enclosed the small space, I felt a little more comforted, strangely enough.

Unfortunately, my sleep was light and fitful, and when it came, it was only for a few short minutes at a time. Already, the guilt was eating at me; imagine how it would be when I had to face George with the knowledge of what I had done. What was I supposed to tell him? Or, should I even tell him at all? But wait, keep secrets from George? I didn't think I would be able to do that. Perhaps I should simply distance myself from him so that I didn't hurt him at all, or at least, as little as possible.

Finally, I decided that this was the only feasible solution, so without giving it another thought, I allowed myself to drift off into an uncomfortable, dream-filled slumber.