jenner

The group is just outside the CDC, the light from the open door still illuminating their faces.

"Daryl, watch the back," Shane says, his voice firm. Everyone has their guns up and ready, waiting for any signs of movement.

Archie moves closer to Mellody and places his body in front of hers, shielding her from any potential danger. He holds his gun at the ready, his eyes scanning the perimeter, looking for any signs of movement. The group remains tense, their hearts pounding in their chests, as they wait for something to happen.

"Hello? Hello?" Rick's voice echoes around the huge space, the sound bouncing off the walls.

"Close those doors," Dale says, addressing the group. "And watch for walkers."

The group cautiously enters the lobby, their guns pointed forward, ready for anything. The space is empty, and the only sound is their own footsteps.

"Hello?" Rick shouts again, his voice echoing through the vast space.

A gun cocks, and a man steps out of the doorway, a rifle in his hands. He calls out, "Anybody infected?"

Archie immediately grabs Mellody's arm, pulling her close and keeping his gun pointed at the man in the hallway.

Rick speaks for the group,  "One of our group was, but he didn't make it."

He keeps his gun pointed at the man, waiting for any sudden movements.
No one moves or says anything, each one waiting for what will happen next. They stand there, guns raised, waiting for the other man to make a decision.

"Why are you here? What do you want" The man asks, his eyes narrowing as he looks at each person in the group.

"A chance," Rick replies simply. After a brief moment of silence where everyone stares each other down, the man steps forward.

"That's asking an awful lot these days," he says, his voice low and serious. Rick nods in agreement.

The man looks at each of them in turn, seemingly appraising them.

"You all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission," he says. Archie lets out a deep sigh, whether it's from sheer exhaustion or annoyance, nobody knows. Mellody grabs hold of Archie's sleeve, clearly nervous.

"We can do that," Rick replies firmly, not taking his eyes off the man.

The man lowers his weapon, and Archie keeps his own gun pointed at the man, still suspicious.

"You got stuff to bring in, you do it now. Once this door closes, it stays closed," the man says, his voice firm, but not necessarily threatening. He points to the door, his eyes fixed on the group.

Archie nudges Mellody, who steps back, losing her balance for a moment before catching herself. The group runs after the man, following him into the elevator.

Archie trails behind Mellody, as she rushes to catch up with everyone else. As they enter the elevator and the doors close, a beeping sound fills the air. The man presses a button on the controls and the elevator
No one speaks or makes a sound, l

"VI, seal the main entrance. Kill the power up here," the man says, his voice low and firm. The door closes, and the elevator descends deeper into the building. Everyone is crammed together, and no one speaks a word.

Suddenly, something rattles and clangs, and Archie steps closer to Mellody, still wary.

Rick steps forward, his hand extended, "Rick Grimes," he says, introducing himself to the man

"Dr. Edwin Jenna," the man replies, still not shaking Rick's hand.

Mellody stands next to Carl, trying not to bump into anyone. Dale stands behind them, still holding his gun up, watching every move the man makes.