Distant Echo - Chapter 2

A/N

Just to make things a bit clearer. This is not based on fantasy or any paranormal activities. Further in the story you'll grasp the feel of the plot and what kind of story it is.

 Here is chapter two. Enjoy maaattteees

Like, Comment Vote :) xox

____________________

Chapter Two

Being a single mother, Lucinda has done a good job bringing us up. Juggling between a full time job and a single parent, we struggle to make ends meet. Even though it feels like there is a missing part of me because dad isn’t around anymore, I’ve learnt to ignore the dreadful feeling that tries to weigh me done. It gets pretty quiet and lonely having it being my mother, sister and me living in our household.

Isabella is ten years old now. As the days go past, she grows in my eyes. She will grow to spring into a beautiful girl. I can see that already. Her round big hazel eyes always tend to point out the beauty within her. Having long wavy hair and a petite figure, she is the little sister every teenage boy dreads to have yet loves deeply. The love I have for my family is indescribable but I always find it hard to act upon my feelings. As usual I always manage to ruin everything. I’m like the accident waiting to happen, the bomb ticking to blow.

I’m eighteen years old in a month’s time. I don’t know if I’m excited about this or not. After all, birthdays are to signify the aging of a person.

Sitting in class, caught in my haze of thoughts as usual, I was staring out the window, bored to the extreme. The winter rain was pattering on the window in a strangely calm way sounding like a harmonious tune.

“Dominic? Dominic! Pay attention! I’m asking you a question here. Now for the last time, what is the square root of 84 over 5?” Mrs Variah asked.

Ahh maths. The subject I despise so dearly. With the whole class’s attention on me, I stared blankly back at my teacher. Melody nudging me slightly under the table, I cleared my throat and tried working out the equation mentally.

Hesitating, I pondered whether or not I should risk giving her a random answer or just admitting defeat. Being the narrow minded person I am, I went for the first number that popped in my head.

“Uhm.. 69?”

Sniggers forming around the class, Mrs Variah looked down on me, her face turning more serious then it possibly could.

Examining the short lady in front of me, I tried holding in my laughter as an image of an Oompa Loompa came to mind. She does actually look like one come to think of it.

“Mr Rodges, would you care to share with the class as to what you find so humorous?” She demanded.

Right then, the bell rang. Breathing out in relief, I was saved by the bell. Muahahaha I mentally laughed to myself.

“I guess I’ll just have to explain myself another time don’t you think Miss?” I asked mischievously, still trying to maintain a serious face.

“Oh not to worry Dominic. A 500 word essay on that exact question will be just fine.” Mrs Variah shot back.

“But this is maths!”I said confusingly.

“Oh is it?” She retorted, a smirk on her face.

The whole class laughing even more now, I was humiliated. Way to go Dominic. So much for being one step ahead. Composing myself and trying to hold back the anger building up I nodded curtly and grabbed my bag.

I ignored Melody who was reaching out her hand, signalling for me to wait and shrugged her off. I wasn’t in the mood for people today or communicating with any one for that matter. One comment resulted in me being tied to school work even more.

Making my way out of the classroom, I ignored the several nods and hellos coming from the other students and headed towards my locker. By now I was late for my next class and quite frankly I didn’t give a shit anymore.

Glancing around the empty hallways, I took the required text books out of my locker then slammed it shut. The only subject that I’m actually good at and enjoy. History. So full of knowledge and experiences that can never compare to this modern world!

Starting down the hallway, it suddenly seemed so long and distant. Like a never ending passage leading to nothing. As I continued walking, an uncomfortable air of pressure surrounded me. At this point I could hear my footsteps, each step sounding louder than the previous. The ruffling of my jumper was echoing in my ears as if it was magnified a good ten times louder.

Puzzlement washing over me, I felt a drop of water trickling down my forehead and I could walk no more. My books fell to the floor as I saw it standing just a few metres from me. Yes. It. Because no way, even if my life depended on it, would I accept that the creature standing right in front of me..is me.

Perfection…Perfection…

The raspy voice entered my head, my entire body once again. Whispering to me. Over and over. The same voice that appeared when I had that nightmare. Or was it a nightmare after all? It won’t stop. Why won’t it stop! I clasped my hands over my ears falling to my knees as pain forced into me.

As I looked up, it..I was still in the same place. An exact clone of me. The same pitch black hair falling lightly in the form of a fringe blended in, light brown eyes and pale cream tone of skin. It even had the same clothes on. Was I seeing things? What’s happening to me?

My clone just stood there. Not moving, it’s eyes never leaving me. I finally had enough sense in me to speak.

“Wh-who are you?” I whispered.                                                                     

Glaring at me, as if I was a useless piece of trash, the clone spoke. And its words traumatized me.

“I am someone you never will be”, it replied back to me in a clear tone.

Multiple shivers ran down my spine causing me to shudder. I then stood up, and I don’t know where I built up the courage but I began to walk towards my clone closing the space between us.

Ignoring the pain still searing within me, I lifted my hand up and gradually went up to touch its face. Astonishment over took me as my hand slipped right through his face.

Suddenly his face contorted with anger and with that an ear blasting scream escalated around me so loud that I thought my ears will pop. As I stared with my mouth hanging open, the clone suddenly vaporised into tiny fragments and washed over me.

I dropped to the floor unable to move. Realising I couldn’t breathe, I struggled to steady my breathing still shaking from the episode that occurred minutes ago.

What felt like hours but in reality was minutes, I looked around me and abruptly remembered I was in the school hallway. It was quiet and I was the only person standing here.

Slowly getting up I gathered my fallen books and tried walking but my legs were shaking involuntarily. Taking a minute to compose myself, anger randomly swelled up inside of me.

Why am I like this?