24| NOT WHAT I EXPECTED

MIA

The Uber got here fast.

Jackson and I sat in the back as the driver started driving. I couldn't stop thinking about what happened today, especially the way it ended.

That pose was something couples do, but we're not a couple. We're just friends.

Just friends. Why did that hurt so much? I guess when you realize you like someone, these feelings just happen.

The car's air conditioner made me suddenly feel cold. I glanced at Jackson. He was leaning back in his seat, his eyes closed, showing he was tired.

His arm moved toward me without him realizing it as he adjusted. It was a simple touch, but it made me feel warm all over.

I tried to move him to the other side, but he was too heavy.

I sighed, looking out the window. The clouds had cleared, revealing a dark blue sky. The streetlights looked mesmerizing, and I didn't notice when Jackson moved even closer to me.

"Mia," he said.

I hummed, but he didn't say anything else.

"Mia," his lips brushed my ear, making me nearly jump out of my seat. I turned to him and saw he was still half-asleep.

His nose touched my cheek before he said, "You're cold."

"Y-yeah," I managed to reply. He hummed, showing he heard me, but didn't say anything more.

I was stuck in the mud of my thoughts, not wanting to escape.

Being close to him felt comforting; I wanted to lean in and rest my head on his neck.

My focus shifted when I saw the driver looking at us through the mirror.

"Um, Jackson," I coughed, reaching out to touch his arm, feeling its firmness.

Stay focused, Mia.

"Jackson," I shook him gently, hoping he'd shift so I could breathe freely.

But then, he did something unexpected.

I anticipated he'd lean away, but he didn't.

His hand glided across my waist, drawing me closer to him. I wanted to object, but I was frozen.

The chill I felt moments ago dissipated as if it never existed when I felt his warm breath on my neck.

His gentle exhales tickled my skin, causing me to hold my breath. His lips brushed against my neck quietly.

What was he doing?!

" Uh-h, J-Jackson..."

"You're cold," he murmured, pressing his nose against my neck, then sighed, "let me warm you up."

Oh no.

"Um, no need," I chuckled nervously, gently removing his hand from my waist.

"I'll just ask the driver to lower the AC," I suggested, trying to get the driver's attention, but Jackson pushed me back into the seat.

I gulped, my hands suddenly sweaty.

"If you do that, I'll get too hot," he said, wrapping his hand around my waist again.