14| SHUT THE FEELINGS DOWN

MIA

"Do you think he's already there?" Jackson inquired, his eyes fixed on the road as he deftly maneuvered through the cars ahead. He had a knack for navigating traffic effortlessly.

"Not sure, but look," I pointed towards my house, a smile gracing my lips. "We're here." Yet, deep down, a part of me wished I lived farther away so that I could spend more time with him.

"Oh yeah," he leaned forward, peering through the windshield. A hint of sadness flickered across his face, mirroring the emotion I had been suppressing. But maybe I was just imagining it. Right?

As he parked along the side of the road, we noticed another car nearby, its headlights shining into our eyes before eventually switching off. It was Miles.

"I guess it's a tie, then," Jackson chuckled, opening his door. Before he closed it, he turned towards me. "Wait here."

I arched an eyebrow, a tinge of suspicion creeping in, but I nodded nonetheless. He shut his door and swiftly made his way over to my side, opening the door for me. "Really?" I smirked, rolling my eyes playfully.

"Really," He grinned, reaching out for my hand and pulling me gently out of the car. I stumbled back slightly, feeling a rush of nervousness as our bodies made contact. We stood just inches apart from each other once again.

"Ahem." This was the third time someone had interrupted our moment, and I couldn't decide if I should be grateful or if I wanted to punch a wall. I knew who it was, so I kept my composure, not wanting to give them the satisfaction of seeing me flustered.

"Hey, guys," I shifted away from Jackson, attempting to calm my racing heart. Miles was carrying Max, who was sound asleep, looking adorable with drool trickling down Miles' t-shirt. Maddy had a few groceries in her hands, her eyes heavy with exhaustion.

She walked up to me, handing me one of the bags. "You're carrying this one," she said, briefly glancing at Jackson before giving a tired wave and heading towards the house.

"Don't worry, she gets cranky when she wakes up," I whispered to Jackson, who responded with a knowing "Oh."

"I heard that!" Maddy's voice echoed from inside the house.

"Hey, Mia," Miles called out to me. I turned to him and noticed a sadness in his eyes. "How are you holding up?"

"Oh, me? I'm fine," I replied with a smile, waving my hand dismissively. He playfully ruffled my hair, eliciting a chuckle from me. "You better be. And if I see him around this house, don't hate me if he gets an eye wound," he teased, though I knew he was serious. Miles wasn't one for displays of affection, but whenever someone made us sad or angry, he always found a way to stand up for us. I suppose that's what big brothers are for.

"Jackson," Miles turned to him. "I can't thank you enough. It was a sudden call, and it was late, so I really appreciate it, dude." He playfully tapped Jackson's shoulder.

"Not a problem," Jackson replied, his gaze shifting to me, his warm brown eyes locking with mine. "And honestly..." He paused, a soft smile gracing his lips. "I had a great time."

"I had a great time too," I replied, feeling a warmth spreading through me.

I wasn't sure how long we had locked eyes, lost in an unspoken connection, until Miles' voice broke the spell. "Well, I guess I better be going," he said with a warm smile. "Mia, don't forget to come inside soon. I don't want to have to explain to Mom if she finds you outside at this time, okay?"