Chapter 1

The former group of the Umbrella Academy sits together in a circle of chairs and sofas. Luther Hargreeves, his overweighing muscles seeming to pop right of of the couch. Diego Hargreeves, twirling a knife around his fingers, glaring at me and Vanya equally. Allison Hargreeves, her hands forming a fist on her lap. Klaus Hargreeves, puffing on a cigarette, a drink in hand at the bar table. Vanya Hargreeves, her eyes darting nervously darting back and forth her siblings.

Together, they spell  A-w-k-w-a-r-d.

Not their initials, but technically true.

Luther clears his throat and stands up, his massive frame towering over us. God, when did he get so big?

"Um... I guess we should get this started." Nobody answers. "For the ceremony, I think-"

"I'm sorry but why is nobody addressing the fact that she  is here?" Diego asks harshly. "She didn't even grow up with us. Only a freak with powers like the rest of us. She didn't go through dad, or the academy, or anything in the worst situation that we went through. And she-" Diego says, looking at Vanya. "-betrayed the family secret."

"Diego, can't you learn to shut your damn-" Allison starts.

"You sad I ain't got daddy issues like you, Knife Boy? Or Vanya? I went through everything what you guys went through, in the past or not." I resort, standing abruptly.

Diego stands up and presses his knife close to my throat, his eyes a menacing glare. The blade presses against my skin, but I ignore it and scoff. "What, you gonna kill me now?"

Luther comes over and pushes us apart. I stumble from the momentum and onto the couch again. "Grow up for once, both of you!" he shouts, demandingly. Or at least tries to. Klaus snickers as he finds his way onto the empty space next to me. A gust of sickly-scented smoke exits his mouth.

"Why so mean, Diego?" he asks, pouting slightly. He puts my arm around my shoulder and pinches my cheek. I slap his hands away and cough from the smell. "You know little Y/N's part of the family now." he says in a whiny tone. He snickers again "Fa-mil-ly." He takes another breath from the cigarette.

"Put that off." Luther seethes. "You know that dad never let smoking in the house. "

"Is that my skirt?" Allison interrupts.

"What, this? Thought it was a nice change in outfit. A little outdated, but very breathy on the-"

"Anyways, back to the point." Luther continues, ignoring the whole conversation between his speech. "We could go back to dad's favorite spot, under the oak tree, say a few words."

Silence

"Is that it? Or do you have anything else to say?" Diego asks mockingly.

Luther takes in a deep breath. "Dad's death. It was...unnatural."

"And here we go." Diego says under his breath.

"I don't understand. I thought they said he died of a heart attack." Vanya speaks for the first time in the discussion.

"Yeah, according to the coroner."

Vanya's brows furrow a little. "Well, wouldn't they know?"

Luther shrugs. "Theoretically."

I scoff.

Luther sighs. "I'm just saying that something happened. Last time I talked to dad, he was... strange"

Klaus leans back on the pillows. "Oh quelle suprise! Of course a sadistic maniac wouldn't sound weird all the time, who would know?

Allison ignores him. "Strange how?"

"On edge. He know something was going to happen. Told me to be careful who to trust." Luther swallows. "Klaus, I need you to talk to dad."

"You think I can just ask "Hey dad! Can you stop playing tennis with Hitler for a second" and he'll pop into place. I'm not... in the right state of mind!"

"In other words, you're high." I say.

"Yeah!" he says cheerfully.

"Well then sober up! This is important. Also, there's the thing about the missing monocle." 

"No one gives a shit about the damn monocle, Luther." Diego says.

"Exactly. It's worth nothing. It's personal. Someone who was close. Someone who took it had a grudge on him."

"Where are you even going with this?" Klaus asks.

"It's obvious." I say quietly. "He thinks it's one of us." Luther stays silent. 

"Luther!" Vanya exclaims.

"That was way too far." Klaus says. "I'm out." He exits the room, staggering.

One by one, everybody starts to leave.

"Way to lead, number one" I say as I walk out.

#

The clear sky rumbles and I jump in surprise. The blue sky had turned dark and thunder crashes and the vibration cause the books on the bookcase to start shaking and jump off the organized shelves. I run my way downstairs, tripping slightly, and out the front door. The others seems to have the same idea, forming a small group underneath a big giant blue ball of light.

Wait what?

The ball looks like a rippled swimming pool, it's light reflecting and vibrating. A small scenery is behind it, a familiar-looking gate and a gathering of trees, warped and distorted. Thunder crashes and rumbles around us, and I take a step closer to investigate it. Luther blocks me with his arms.

"Not too close."

"No shit, Sherlock." Diego replies. "What the heck is that thing?"

"Looks like some kind of temporal anomaly. Or a miniature black hole." Luther shouts over the noice.

"That's some pretty big difference-"

"Out of the way!" Klaus shouts, a fire extinguisher in hand. He struggles with the trigger, gives up, and heaves the red thing through the blue hole. It passes smoothly through it and we hear a small clang as it hits a stone pavement.

"How is that supposed to help?" I yell.

"I don't know? You got a better idea?"

"Yeah, a few actually." I say.

Suddenly, the hole ripples even more and it begins to crackle. A faint, elderly figure seems to push through the small entrance.

"Everyone get behind me!" Luther demands. 

"Yeah, everybody behind us!" Diego shouts .

I roll my eyes as I reluctantly move back. Allison gasps slightly and I notice that she's holding Luther's hands. She feels me looking and turns back. I raise my eyebrow.

The figure, shouting, pushes through and a flash of blue light illuminates the figure.It tumbles to the ground and the darkness and light fades away. A  boy tumbles on the ground, in an oversized suit, panting. He stands up, grimacing and groaning in pain. A piece of dry leaf is stuck to his forehead and he scowls at us.

I gasp as I realize where I saw him. The little boy above the mantelpiece. 

"Does anybody else see little number five, or is it just me?" Klaus asks.

The boy stands up and looks down on himself and then at us again. 

"Shit."