Chapter Four: First Day

I'd been given one of the Pack House bedrooms, between Amelia and Helena's rooms with Bev across the hall from me.

The room wasn't like Amelia's. Its layout was the same, but the furnishings were dark and reddish brown. The carpet was red with black embroidery of the wolf tattoo Valik and Heath sported covering most of it.

The bed was covered in plush blankets and a pile of pillows, my moon bear and vampire bat toys tucked in already, I assumed by Amelia.

It was nearly midnight but I couldn't sleep. After tossing in the soft bed for the third time, I sat up, threw the covers off me and got out of the bed.

I opened the door as quietly as I could and peeked out.

The hallway light was still on but it was a low glow at night and I slipped out of my room, closing the door behind me slowly, trying not to make noise and tiptoed down the walkway to the Mess Hall.

There wasn't much light in there. I breathed deeply and raised my hand, bending my elbow and putting it at shoulder height. I called light to my hand and felt the magic warm it, my hand lit up brightly.

I winced at the light and pulled back some of the magic, dimming it so I could just see in front of me.

I made my way to the beverage table and started to make myself another chai.

I moved as quietly as I could, cursing the heating pot when it hissed as it heated the water inside.

I'd managed to make the light from my hand take the form of a small ball that hovered over my shoulder as I peeked behind me to make sure no one had heard, only to squeal at the sight of Adam sitting casually on the bench behind me, watching.

I covered my mouth quickly and stared at him and he just looked at me, raising his shoulders and hands in a 'what?' motion.

"You scared the shit out of me!" I hissed at me, looking behind him to check that no one had come out. His eyes glazed over and I relaxed, knowing he was alerting them to his presence.

I held my cup of chai and pulled down on the large shirt Bev had given me, trying to cover my bare legs.

It was not a smart choice not to put pants on, but at least I remembered underwear.

Adam rose and held out his hand for me to take it.

I let go of the shirt and grabbed it eagerly, my light fizzed out in its usual fashion of failed magic but I didn't mind, Adam squeezed my hand and led me.

He pulled me down the hall and into the bedroom I was in, he closed the door behind us and stretched out on the floor beside the bed while I put my cup down on the bedside and climbed under the covers.

When I'd settled, he was leaning back on his hands and his legs were stretched in front of him, crossed.

"How was your day?" He asked, just staring at me and rocking his legs slightly. He was in a cream jumper and black suit pants, he'd taken his shiny black shoes off at the door and wore plain black socks.

I nodded, sipping my chai. "The girls helped me understand some things, I met your Beta's and I got my school schedule from Mr Tobias. How was yours?" I held out the piece of paper to him, and he leaned forward and grabbed it with one hand.

He read it for a moment, chuckled and handed it back, getting up.

"You can just call him Tobias. My day was fine, I couldn't sleep." He crawled into the bed next to me. "Drink the rest of that." I did as he instructed, enjoying the heat of the liquid and quickly ran my empty cup to the bathroom to rinse it and fill it with water for the night. When I came back into the bedroom, from what I could see, Adam had removed his jumper and had climbed under the blankets, he'd moved the pillows so he had one behind his head while he sat up, the covers pulled to his waist.