Chapter One: Out of the frying pan

The air was cold, burning my lungs as I inhaled raggedly.
Branches scratched my skin as I ran, trying to take the brunt of it with my raised arms.
Sticks, roots, and rocks stabbed into my feet painfully but I kept running.
I could feel them behind me.
The lights bounced through the trees now and again, making me duck behind a tree or bush, whatever could hide my small frame.
The perks of being starved I joked inwardly, pushing to my feet and running again once the light passed overhead.
I reached a hand down to the scrap of fabric and rope I'd scavenged to create a makeshift bag strapped around my waist, feeling the crunch of various herbs I had stashed, relief washed when I felt the glass vial concealed inside still intact.
I could teleport if they got too close.
I had at least two uses left if I didn't jump far and used it sparingly.
Stealing a glance behind me, I swallowed hard.
I counted three.
Two wore headlights that darted back and forth as they spread out, opposite directions to each other, guns pointed downward. The third one stood in the centre, I dropped myself painfully to the ground, ducking under the light as he raised a weapon that the light was attached to.
A tranq gun no doubt.
I knew the forced sleep would be the sweet finale compared to the brutality that waited for me if they caught me. Though my captures wanted me alive, I knew they would allow the Hunters their fair share of reward besides money. They enjoyed violence, second to murdering.
I stayed on my stomach and started to slowly crawl backward, finding a tree, I pulled myself up. Seeing a clearing directly behind the next line of trees, I breathed heavily.
I had to run.
The clearing either meant my death or another chance at one more day.
The sun was starting to rise and I knew we were close to some kind of civilization, I'd followed a road that led to the woods I ran through, taking a slight detour when I heard them starting their pursuit. I had hoped I'd stayed somewhat close enough that the clearing meant a town or something that contained people.
The Hunters wouldn't risk being spotted by a crowd. They'd find me again when I was alone enough or careless.
I'd been lost in thought, not realising the opening of the clearing spanned a few steps before dropping to a steep hill.
The ground disappeared below me and I let out an involuntarily scream, cursing myself for giving away my location.
I hit hard, grunting and losing all the air in my lungs, and started to roll violently.
Rocks dug into my exposed arms and legs, and my left leg got caught on something and twisted at a horrid angle.
I bit my lip, stifling a scream as I finally came to a stop on solid stone paving.
Without looking back, I forced myself to get up, my leg dangling useless and painful.
I hopped a few steps onto the pavement pathetically and finally looked back.
I could see the men on the cliff edge.
The one with the tranq smiled, pulling his night vision goggles up.
Suddenly I felt something warm grab me as I slammed into it.
My head snapped around to come staring at a wall of solid black fabric.
I looked up to a dark-haired man staring at me, eyes like a blazing mix of gold and brown.
My breath hitched, almost choking me as my hands reached up, pressing to his chest.
He was so warm.
"Leave!" Was all I could yell. I shoved at him, trying to get him away.
Something sharp made me seeth, my chest arched forward against my will, pressing against the stranger.
I glanced behind to see one of the men had his gun raised to me, a large grin as he lowered the weapon and grabbed something that protruded out of it.
My eyes widened in realisation.
He tugged at the rope and I flew backwards, my right shoulder screaming at me as the spear he had shot at me expanded into my skin, securing me like a fish. It was attached to the rope in his hand that he now used to reel me backwards, I scraped across the ground, digging the spear tip deeper.
I rolled, trying to lessen the pain and tried to turn back to the man who had come out, I assumed, to the sound of my screams.
I throw my right arm out, trying to summon magic from my void to shove the man.
A burst of blue energy extends from me but falls short in a shower of failed magic between us.
No!
"Run. Please. I can't save you!" I screamed at him; he stared at me in disbelief as I was yanked back again.
I cried out.
I'm too weak to use my magic.
I can't let an innocent die. He can't be another victim.
He felt so- The vial!
Gripping my makeshift bag, I ripped it from my side and threw it at him, hoping he would understand.
Without looking away from me, he snatched the fabric in mid-air, letting it fall open in his large palm.
He briefly regarded the content before staring at me with a look of complete bewilderment.
"Drink it. It will get you out of here! Please le-" A boot suddenly choked off anything else I had to scream, pinning me to the ground and causing the spear to pierce entirely through my shoulder.
I screamed soundlessly, air denied to my throat and lungs.
The Hunter above me had night vision goggles he pulled up as he crouched down, his boot pushing impossibly deeper into my windpipe.
"Almost got away." He chuckled. "But looks like you just gave us more fun." He stared up cruelly at the man still standing on the pavement.
I can't move my head enough, I struggle against his boot, crawling at his ankle and trying to push him off.
"No, leave him! He didn't do anything!" I wheezed. Unsure if they could even make out my words.
The other two joined him in my vision range, tears springing forth in my eyes; they noticed and laughed viciously.
The one in the middle stayed focused on me, smiling still before nodding to the two others with him, towards the man.
I struggled and tried to push the Hunter off again.
He growled at me, removing his foot for a second.
I took a quick inhale of air only to lose it when I received a metal toe to the side.
I heard a snap, or two, and cried out.
He tossed me sideways, yanking out the spear that penetrated my shoulder.
I screamed and tried to roll away. He gripped me, rotated me and pinned me again so I now stared at the other two Hunters advancing on the man, large knives drawn and glittering in the rising sun that bloomed over the mountainside.
The man now only held the vial delicately between two fingers. He twirled it for a moment, his other hand raising to his chest.
He seemed lost in thought, completely unaware of the danger.
I tried to scream, but it came out a weak, useless noise.
His head snapped up, as if hearing me, his eyes meeting mine enraged.
They shifted from me to the two Hunters.
A smile sprung across his lips.
It was violent, horrifying and inhuman.
The smile morphed suddenly forming to create a large set of sharp teeth and elongating to form a snout.
My eyes widened as he Shifted into an enormous midnight black Wolf.