Admit Defeat

"Xie Yi, no special ability."
No special ability...
NO—SPECIAL—ABILITY
Xiao Jun's knees wobbled as those words kept on repeating in his crumbling mind over and over again like a broken radio. As a sense of helplessness and despair drowned him whole, the light in his sight scattered as if the whole world was spinning around him.
Fuck!
After the agreement was made, the news of their spar quickly spread out like wildfire throughout the entire residence. It became such a hot topic that not many souls were oblivious of their match that would soon take place in an hour.
It was evident that the Xie twin devils weren't just some nameless arrogant teenagers, judging by the huge crowd gathered around Battle Arena No 2. Not even half an hour had passed after the news was spread and the venue was already packed like sardines, with deafening noises flooding all four corners.
"Excuse me, can you tell me what's going on here? Why the sudden commotion?"
One bored man named Xie Lin, who had just returned from his closed-door training, couldn't help but grow curious upon being greeted with such a messy scene.
"Eh? Brother, do you live under a rock or something? How can you not know about the Xie twin devil's issued challenge?!!"
"What? The Xie twin devils are at it again? Who's the unlucky person this time?" Xie Lin raised an eyebrow, his interest piqued.
"It's Zhang Mo's little lackey, Xiao Jun."
"Xiao Jun?"
Xie Lin narrowed his eyes, mumbling under his breath. He could vaguely recall Zhang Mo, Mrs Zhang's only son who was also a 3rd-rank ability user, which was quite a notable feat amongst the younger generation, but not this lad named Xiao Jun.
It was evident that this Xiao Jun wasn't someone significant enough for him to remember.
"Well, since it'll be a two against two and this Xiao Jun is well-acquainted with Zhang Mo, will it be a spar between them and the twin devils?"
Xie Lin casually inquired, which was soon met with the disdain of the random man.
"Brother, Zhang Mo had long been beaten into a pulp by the twin devils. Haishh, how can you not even know this?"
Xie Lin scratched his head in embarrassment. He stopped bugging the seemingly-annoyed man when a roar suddenly erupted from the crowd.
On top of the arena, Xiao Jun glanced fearfully at the sea of agitation below him. They were straight out cursing and spitting at him and Xie Yi, telling them to come down the stage and stop wasting everyone's time.
"A non-ability user? Is this supposed to be a joke or something?"
Xie Feng chuckled, which was followed by a huge tide of degrading 'boos' that drained all colors from Xiao Jun's face.
"Xie Yi..." Xiao Jun lowered his head, his tightened fists trembling greatly before he finally sigh, "Forget it, let's admit defeat."
Xiao Jun had just wanted to turn around and leave the stage when a clear voice suddenly rang out from the seemingly not the slightest perturbed girl, putting his footsteps into a halt.

"Don't want to."

Xiao Jun's gaze darkened at her words. He was incensed at her willfulness. Now that he thought about it, he hadn't agreed to the unreasonable match in the first place. If it's not for her...

"Xie Yi, stop this nonse—" Xiao Jun fumed, when Xie Yi suddenly cut him off.

"Do you not want to get back at them anymore? You're not being a good friend here, Xiao Jun." Xie Yi firmly said, her deep-set eyes staring against the man's crossed ones.

"What are you talking ab–"

Xie Yi didn't let him continue and had instead questioned him back, "Or, have you lost faith in me? Thinking that you can't possibly win with a cripple on your side?"

'Isn't that a given?' Xiao Jun wanted to say that but stopped himself to, not wanting to make things worse than it was now.

"Xie Yi..." He patiently started, only to be interrupted by her once again.

"Don't worry." Xie Yi muttered, eyes no longer looking at him as they turned to reflect the smug-looking pair of youngsters opposite them instead. "Stay back and leave it to me. I'll secure the victory for our team."

"But–"

Xie Yi didn't allow any rebuttals from Xiao Jun. She took a step forward, her back against the man as she adeptly twisted her spear like a featherlight toy in the air, before pointing the shimmering tip of its blade towards Xie Feng's nose, freezing his mocking sneer.
"Now, cut the nonsense and start the match."
Xie Yi coldly spat out, her posture straight and strong as her entire figure burst out a terrifyingly aggressive aura.
"Y-Yes, Miss. But before that..." The mediator stuttered, wiping off the sweat on his neck and forehead before he continued, "You haven't paid for the bet yet."
"..."
Xie Yi's seemingly impregnable stance faltered in the mere count of seconds. She glanced sideways at the frantic Xiao Jun, asking carefully when she saw him nod.
"Can't we start the match without one?"
This time, it wasn't the mediator but Xie Feng who answered her out of agitation, "That won't do. What fun will there be if nothing is at stake?"
Xie Yi frowned, "We can stake our lives instead, is it exciting enough for you?"
"Hahah, that won't do either. Life-threatening exchanges aren't allowed in the Xie residence." Xie Feng faked a laugh, "The bet will be 2 B-ranked mutated nuclei from each side. Winner will get all 4. What do you think?"
"Is cash allowed?" Xie Yi asked.
"No cash." Xie Feng flatly replied.
"Then, Xiao Jun..." Xie Yi turned her head to search for the man's figure, "Pay for me first."
Xiao Jun: "..."
'Mother, please save me!'
For an 'outsider' like Xiao Jun, a single B-ranked nucleus was enough of a luxury he could never imagine himself to get. If not for his relationship with Zhang Mo, he wouldn't even have the chance to touch one, moreover to possess one in his possession.
Although it'll be a great humiliation to mutter these words under so many eyes, this single B-ranked nucleus in his pockets wasn't something he could afford to lose.
"I-I'm sorry, I got none ei–"
"I'll pay for them."
What followed after the sudden proclamation that had popped out of nowhere was the faint sound of a "plop" as a pouch was thrown onto the stage. At that moment, still silence enveloped the whole venue as all eyes gathered on the generous man, Xie Lin, who had a casual smile plastered on his face.
Xie Yi studied the man's features, pressing her lips into a thin line, "Then, I'll be thanking you first."
She unabashedly swept away the bulging pouch from the ground before throwing it precisely into the mediator's arms, commanding him with a dominating tone.
"Now, let the match begin."