I'm not sorry

I was convinced at this point that I must have successfully broken into a vampire's house and gotten away with it. I laughed to myself as I jogged down the trail, heading out of town. I mean, I had only seen Kakashi from a distance talking with a shop owner. He hadn't noticed me; well, it seemed like he hadn't.

I huffed, stopping on the trail to breathe. I wiped the sweat from my forehead and looked around. I wonder if the old village has given up on me. It has been years, but no one has come. Jiraiya, what happened to him? Was he really still searching?

I straightened up and went back to running. I would have to ask about him soon. I hope he is alright. Well, if the old village had given up, that was good, right? My foot caught on a rock, and I fell forward.

I swear, I am cursed. I groaned, pushing myself off the ground. My knees are scraped, and my hands—well, at least the one I had—are still wrapped from the other injury.

I got up, brushing off the dirt. I sighed. I should focus... I blew at my burning scraps. I was so clumsy... I looked up and looked around. Well, I better get back... I turned around and started running back to the village.

I stopped just outside of the village, catching my breath.

"Gosh, Kakashi, you didn't have to work him so hard." Sakura's voice came from around the corner. Kakashi? I dove into the bushes without thinking... I hid behind a tree.

They came around the corner, Sakura dragging a nearly unconscious Naruto. She started to pull him away toward the hospital.

Kakashi shrugged amusedly. "He said he had gotten stronger..." He said it laughing.

Sakura huffed. "I'm taking him home; I won't be going to train tomorrow, and apparently neither will he." She snapped at him, then started down the road.

I watched silently. They must have trained too hard. Poor Naruto. I stifled a laugh from my hiding spot. I watched her drag him off, then looked at Kakashi, who stood watching them well; he was chuckling. He took a deep sigh, and then he stood very still. What's he doing?

I blinked, and he was gone. I blinked a few more times. My brows furrowed. I was confused. I felt silly in my hiding spot.

"What are you doing?"

I froze and looked above me. Kakashi was crouching a few branches above me. Uh, I went wide-eyed and scrambled out of the bushes. He jumped from the tree, landing next to me at normal speed.

I stepped back, my face bright red. "I was... hiking...."I said it, trying to think fast.

He tilted his head, looking back at my hiding spot. "Hiking, huh?" He turned back to me with a closed-eye smile. "Usually this early?" He asked, looking at the time. It was 9 a.m.

I felt my heart picking up... I looked around, unsure. I took a breath. "Ya..." I said slowly, looking away from him. What had he said? He can read minds when looking into my eyes, right?

I turned to look at him, imagining going through the forest hiking...

He stared into my eyes... Then he turned away, stifling a laugh. My mouth fell open. Why was he laughing? He turned back at me and said, "Sorry...'' He said it, half amused, then paused, looking down at my hands. "Your hand..." he said, confused.

I looked at my scraped hands and said, "I feel while running." I explained it simply. Yeah, that's how I was—simple and emotionless.

He gestured toward my badly wrapped hand and asked, "When did that happen?" He asked about it, concerned.

Why was he so...worried out by it? "It was a few days ago..." I tried not to be emotional or give too much detail.

He tilted his head. "While I was away?"