I'm With You

I woke up to an unknown place. I was in a double bed and the sun was in my face. It wasn't nice but I couldn't feel less bothered, the bed sheets were soft against my skin and everything was so white. I fell asleep again.

I woke up again some miutes later, the sun shined in a different way, it wasn't in my face now. I found someone by my side when I opened my eyes. Pony was sitting in a desk chair reading my book that he borrowed. When he saw that I moved he looked at me with a worried look. Why wasn't he smiling at me? I missed his warm smile. He got on his knees in front of me by the bed.

-Maddie? How are you feeling.-He caressed my hair, that was lovely. He put his hand on my forehead and then caressed my head again.-What time is it?-My voice was distant. He looked at the clock on the desk and asnwered.-Four thirty in the afternoon. Wait here.

With that he left me there, in that empty room. I asumed that when I saw the sunrise I knocked out infront of their house, and some Curtis found me lying in the cold of the dawn, with my head against the pavement.

He came back with the oldest of his brothers. Darry was tough, he had wide shoulders and blue cold eyes. I felt, though, he was the one who cared the most. He cared too much about so many people, I just think the whole world fell on his shoulders and he thought it was his responsability to fix it.

-How are you feelig Maddie?-I sat to talk to the brothers.-I'm better, my head just hurts a little, well, it just feels heavy.-Darry nodded and patted my shoulder.-Does my aunt know? She must be so worried.-I realised I was biting my nails.-Don't worry about her, we called as soon as we found you. She's having a full shift at the hospital. She told us to bring you to your cousin when you woke up.

Darry stood up.-I have to leave for work now, Pony, give her something to eat and take her home.-I really didn't want to be around Dave, I really didn't. He wouldn't make me feel any better.-Can I? Uh, stay here?-My mind was a mess.-At least until my aunt's back.-Darry looked at me and thought, then he nodded and put his hand on Pony's shoulder.-Take care of her.-He said that to him. With that he left the room.

I stood up and stumbled a little, Pony helped me and he laughed, like, he actually laughed. I laughed too, I don't know how could I have been so bad. What happened last night was just a blurry memory. I was O.K now. Pony gave me a pair of shorts, socks and a pair of slippers. I realised I had gone outside with my sleeping clothes. I'm a mess. 

When I changed he entered the room again and looked at me. He went through some drawers and took a red sweater out of one of them.-Here, it's summer but you're dead cold.-He was right, my hands and feet were cold.

We went downstairs and it felt weird, it was weird to be so in peace, a house, so quiet. I saw Pony cook some eggs and take some cake out of the fridge. The sun fell from the window and hit him with such a beauty. I wish I could have taken a picture of him at than moment, so I tried to perceive every single detail of the scene. I tried to memorize how everything looked like. I took a picture in my head.

I sat waiting for Pony to bring me the food. I was actually starving and I hadn't noticed until now. Pony told me to follow him. We sat at the stairs to the front porch. He gave me a piece of cake and a toast with a fried egg. 

-Soda found you lying in front of our house when he was about to leave for work.-He started.-You were only wearing a shirt with no sleeves, no pants and no shoes or socks. How did you not die from the cold night?-I was a little embarrassed. I was like that sometimes, I would just freak out and go on auto mode.-I was really scared, you where all cold. I don't know how you didn't hit your head.-He caressed my head again. I was glad he gave me the sweater because I was cold. I ate everything and he asked me if I wanted some of his. 

-I've eaten already, so you should really eat.-He gave me what was left, half of his cake and half of his toast.-Thank you Pony.-I wanted to cry, he was so nice, so sweet. When I was a little kid my father used to caress my head before I went to sleep, and I hadn't felt that feeling in a while. 

-Darry told everyone to go somewhere else to let you rest, they went to the Drive In but they'll be back in a few hours.-He didn't realise I was crying, I left the plates next to me and stared at my hands.-Hey Maddie, what's wrong?.-He tried to look at me but I covered my face.-Maddie no...-I felt guilty.-Come here.-As he said that I hugged him, I pressed my face against his chest and let myself cry. I was hugging him from under his arms so he put both his arms around my waist. With one of them caressed my back, so soft. Then he held my head against his chest. He was so warm.

-Everything will be okay, you're okay. I'm with you.-He whispered. I liked his whispers, I wouldn't have freaked out so much if it was his whispers that were all over yesterday.-I'm here, I won't leave.-I didn't realise that I was asking him not to leave. But then I started to hear my voice again. My voice wasn't far away, it was here with me. My voice was mine.

-Thank you.-I wasn't crying as hard now.-I'm sorry.

-Don't be sorry.-He still caressed my head and I really didn't want him to stop. I felt like Ponyboy and I were starting to grow closer. For the three weeks I had been in Oklahoma he was the one I was always with. Every single day, we'd hang out. Pony was very different from his brothers or the guys from the gang. He was more sensitive and soft. Yeah he was tough sometimes as well, and he smoked and fought and sometimes helpes his friends to steal from a store. But he had so much more inside of him. 

Pony had a world living inside of him, and it wanted to come out and take over the world. Some words lived inside of him, one of them was friendship. He knew what a friendship was. I'd like to know what other words lived within him.

**

Even though I had been wandering around all night long, I felt like if I lied down in bed one more minute I'd be sick. So I asked Pony if we could walk somewhere.

-How's your foot?-He asked as he washed the dishes.-Well, it hurts only if I put all the weight in that foot. But I can walk.-Pony left a rag on the table.-I'm surprised you didn't cut your feet last night.-I was sick of hearing about last night.-I don't wanna talk about last night.

Pony shrugged and told me to stand up.

We walked around the neighbourhood. There was silence but it was nice kind of silence. The one were you heard birds and the wind.

-Next time you feel scared at night go to my house, the door is always open. You can even wake me up if you think you're gonna freak out.-I didn't say anything for a few seconds.-I'll be there for you. I mean, me, and Darry and Soda.-Pony was the best friend I have had in a long time. Emily didn't answer my letter, but I don't blame her.