~Chapter 2

- 2- 

  "Butterfly. . . Butterfly, stop!" 

  Butterfly heard Lisa telling her to stop, but she just couldn't. Everything felt like a nightmare to her. She just wanted to wake up to find that she and Lance were still together. She needed to wake up to his smile he gave her every morning when she woke up. That's how it was supposed to be. Instead, she ran after a man she gave her all to, who just trampled all over her heart. 

 The thought of Lance not being in love with her anymore kept rearing its ugly head in her mind. Didn't he know that the grass wasn't always greener on the other side? 

  Butterfly wiped a trickle of sweat that appeared on her brow. The heat was making it hard for her to breathe; her running like she was in the Olympics didn't make things any better. She kept turning around to see if she could spot Lance and Asia in the parking lot. 

  She finally spotted them getting into a tinted black car. She ran over to them since they were only a couple of feet away from her. She heard the rumbling of the engine. She saw them trying to pull away from the parking space. Before they could do so, she jumped in front of the vehicle. 

  Butterfly threw her hands up. "Stop." 

  The car screeched to a halt. Lance slammed the door shut, followed by a pissed off Asia, who had been driving. 

  "What in the hell is wrong with you?" Lance asked, frowning down at her. 

  "I just don't understand how you can leave me for her," Butterfly said. She sensed the vulnerability and pleading in her voice. She didn't like it one bit. 

  Lanced stalked closer to her while giving her a threatening gaze. "You were never really smart, so let me dumb it down for you. I'm just not in love with you anymore. I've found someone new, sorry." 

  Butterfly closed her eyes for a second, to try and control her brewing emotions. "You're not sorry. Why did you even show up at the wedding?" 

  "One thing I try to do is keep my promises. I'm sorry Butterfly, but I just couldn't keep this promise to you." 

  Lance put his hand up to her cheek, but she flinched away. She didn't want him touching her now. He probably touched Asia the same way, she thought. The thought made her stomach churn. 

  Lance sighed and said, "Butterfly it's over." 

  When Lance walked back to the car with Asia, she didn't try to stop him this time. She didn't even try to step in front of the car when it finally pulled out of the parking space. She stood there for what felt like an eternity. 

  Butterfly finally turned around and saw Lisa, with a grim expression on her face. "Did you hear everything?" she asked. 

  "Yeah. B, I have a confession to make," she said while looking down at the pavement. "I knew he was messing around with Asia." 

  Butterfly put her hand up to her forehead. She felt a little light-headed all of a sudden. "Are you serious? Why didn't you tell me?" 

  "I didn't think it was my place to say. I didn't want to be the one to ruin your relationship with Lance. You seemed so happy being with him. I didn't want to do anything to disrupt that." 

  "What kind of friend are you?" Butterfly asked, shaking her head in disgust. "I would have told you in a heartbeat. Because that's what real friends do." 

  "Butterfly, I'm sorry." Lisa's lips quivered, as she tried to hold back her tears. Butterfly didn't care. She was too damn mad to care. 

  "I really can't look at you right now. I have to get out of here."