Chapter 15

"The first weeks consisted of collecting as many happy memories as possible to produce the Patronus spell. I hope your research was productive!" exclaimed the professor against the defenses of dark arts, emerging into the large room.

The offices had disappeared again and all that remained was a very large corridor with many mirrors against the walls. The Madrick BoeilFleur course was plunged into darkness. The room transformed each week to prepare the Hogwarts students for the assistance of a new non-verbal spell. Today was no exception.

Her irises lost in the vagueness, Hermione did not immediately feel the brush against her wrist. Harry stared at her, a small, sad smile tugging at the corner of his lips. Since her altercation with Ginny, the young Gryffindor no longer had the pleasure of seeing her best friend every day. They avoided each other and it was for the best. Hermione gave them space and although Harry understood that, she knew how much it cost him not to be able to communicate with her all day. They sent each other owls to tell each other certain anecdotes. And the young woman no longer took the trouble to join them at the big Gryffindor table. The discomfort remained present and she could not see herself adding fuel to the fire. Ginny deserved peace and if her absence gave it to her, so be it!

Hermione ate late, knowing full well that her classmates were no longer in the Great Hall at those times. Smiling softly at her best friend, she squeezed his fingers and turned her attention to the rest of the lesson. The last few weeks had been hectic. She hadn't written much in her notebook. To tell the truth, ... she preferred not to talk about it, the embarrassment made her cheeks turn red just thinking about it.

Since the evening, Malfoy had resumed his habits with unparalleled care. He avoided her like the plague. She shouldn't be surprised, yet the sting against her chest only proved her otherwise. She was hurt by his silence and indifference. Whatever had happened between them, it had disappeared like the glow of the sun in the early morning. There was only this persistent emotional distance of incomprehension.

"After reflection with the headmistress of Hogwarts, we concluded that it would be more judicious to start casting the spell when we returned from the Christmas holidays. Today, we will then take the time to cast a non-verbal spell."

BoeilFleur, with his long blond mane, observed each student with a goofy smile. When he looked at Hermione, she held her breath, her fists clenched. She still didn't like his approach, but her fury had been charged with curiosity since the first lesson. The professor against the forces of dark arts was not ill-intentioned and the young Gryffindor had to admit it: they had learned much more in the space of a few weeks than in several years. She was grateful for that. Pursing her lips, to contain her emotions and her desire to raise her hand, she waited for the rest of his explanations.

"You will be paired for the next hour. You have free time to try to cast a curse on your opponent silently."

There was laughter in the room. BoeilFleur added in an amused voice, one eyebrow raised.

"I expect your hexes to be gentle and friendly to your comrades."

Hermione smiled. Definitely, the professor must have been a former Slytherin, so great was his insubordination. Cast a spell on a student to learn? And not giving any indication as to the curse to be given? What a strange way of teaching!

Harry, catching her gaze, gave her a shrug.

"If I have the good fortune of being with Malfoy, I will try to cast the spell on him to block his tongue. He deserves to no longer be able to speak, this stupid ferret."

Hermione burst out laughing. Blokclang. She had already thrown it at the Slytherin and her best knew nothing about it. Draco would be furious if he was paired with Harry, she was sure. But in view of the young man's incandescent irises resting on her person, the young woman told herself that he would be more frustrated if he ended up with her.