The Search

Present

I thought we surely are as we didn't have to see the waves upfront, so this place is far safer than the place amma was in.

Mama in the meantime bought something to eat for amma and the rest. We were sitting; all the elders engaged in serious discussion about stuff. As the situation seemed to be in control and no more tremors were felt after that. We stepped down the hill and followed amma and pati to the second house.

It is located 40 meters from where I started my run and exactly at the line with the starting point of the hill. We walked on the grass to it and pati opened the lock to the gate made of wooden pieces which was still intact. As soon as we stepped in, we saw the roof of the house sitting completely on the ground. The roof was made of high zinc aluminum roofing which was painted red and the body of the house was made with a mix of half wood and half aluminum sheet. So, it didn't have a strong foundation to withstand whatever happened earlier.

But my granny always made sure all her places had some sort of resource, so this one too had it. All of us started our search mission to find anything which may be useful. Me and my brother took the doggy position, twisting ourselves and our head to find anything we could pull out of it.

The benefit of the house falling as such was that nothing escaped the place but were trapped inside. My Nani and mom dragged the old yellow iron suitcase (famous in my grans day's) and my gran pulled out the key to the box and found some much-needed treasure.

Me and my brother kept our search in full force as nani and mom got something and so we finally pulled out a plastic bottle filled with sugar and gave a victorious grin to each other and shouted amma to get her attention.

We were keeping ourselves busy when people started shouting WATER WATER again. We both looked at the elders and my mom asked us to leave the place and go to the hill so I dragged my brother out and we started running but the place was a bit far my bro suddenly pulled his hands out and stopped someone we know according to him who was in his scooter and asked for lift quiet bravely and I turned to look at him and mouthed what are you doing.

He gave me one of his smiles showing all his teeth and a voice broke the action and made us turn towards him which said hop on. My brother took the seat in the back, and I sat behind him. And the scooter started its dubudubudubu with which we again went to the hill and sat were we were previously sitting waiting for the adults to arrive. We hoped they were okay.

By the time my mom and gran arrived everyone else present there started building their own shelters with the available coconut leaves, wood and clothes and took shelter underneath.

Me and my brother were talking about what we were seeing in front of us.

In the distance, we were able to see the bazar bridge and the waves carrying stuff along with it. We started calling names of the things we noticed and showing it to each other.

Avi: Sona see that's a red fridge.

Sona: Avi, Avi look that's a washing machine.

Avi: Ho... There are a lot of things.

Sona: Yeah. There are.

Avi: Where will all these things go.

Sona: Into the sea of course iddo... We were giggling.

While we were doing this, someone started shouting loudly giving commands we tried to keep our heads straight as we didn't want any trouble for ourselves. But at the end curiosity got the better of us

We saw a man. Pointing his fingers looking straight ahead saying "Hey, main khada hoon yahan. Ruk jao. Aage mat aana". Which means don't you dare come forward I'm standing here, I'm warning you. We thought maybe it was his wife to whom he was saying that to. Me and my brother stood up from our position to check who it actually was but to our surprise, there was no one underneath the hill on the road below. We looked at each other and was showing eyebrows asking who? We looked at the man again and saw the direction of his pointed finger and when we followed the sight. We ended up face palming and laughing as he was instructing the sea to listen to him, and I thought what a man.

Even when the situation is so worse and everyone's life was in danger, he had it in him to get so drunk to lose his brain. I scoffed at the thought. And later mom said the thieves who were already alert by then started the chaos of water water so that they can start the loot of things for themselves while everyone was busy saving their own life. How cruel of beings can they be?