DAY II

It was about 5:30 in the morning, everyone was up even my little bro. I got up from the mat we slept on the floor with a sudden moment as I dreamt that I opened my school bag and cockroaches started swarming me from it... Yewww... It made my heart race with fear.... I rubbed my eyes with an urgency and looked around founding no cockroach I sighed in relief. I walked towards the front shutter and watched everyone being busy. People are returning early from the Church. (Were they) I donno I just guessed that hehehe. It's Sunday.

I brushed my teeth washed my face and by the time I returned, I saw my brother holding a copper pot his size and standing in line for water as it is time for water supply. The street had hand pumps and water taps. The water supply is supposed to start at 6:00.

Everyone before me was getting ready with their pots, bucket and lining up. I turned my look towards the tv wondering should I turn this thing on or should I not?

I sat on the stool next to the front door after finally making the tv monitor roar and continued watching the people. That was when my mama (maternal uncle) appeared before me with his friend and was saying look here (not to me). It's shaking isn't it and he repeated this twice or thrice.

I started looking at what was shaking too. As I gathered all my focus on what this is about my face and eyes showed a serious expression and I tried climbing over the table to get a good look... But to my surprise I was lifted off my position and was pulled and dragged out of the house through the half sliding folding door; my brother and granny were pulled along the way from the line they were standing to open field. He pushed us down. My brother, me, my granny and on top he was lying. I was confused what's going on here.

What's this position for? Before I was able to understand anything as this was something new, I have never witnessed before.

Everyone started falling down and screaming and shouting.

The aunty at the second pipe 10 meters away from us fell with her pot on the ground and shouted Aiyyapaa (a hindu god's name) with the water in her pot spilling all over.

It was shaking.... The ground was shaking... What's this.... What is happening... I tried looking over or below me to find my brother or granny's sight but I wasn't able to so I looked front and saw the walls of newly constructed house in front of my Nani's home beating like heartbeat. The coconut tree in front of it swayed way more than it ever did in the past. Everything was shaking. Everyone in my line of sight looked terrified. But I still didn't know what this this and what was happening???

It went on for few seconds and it finally stopped! Everyone was looking around. Trying to grasp the situation. They were terrified but they got up and stood on their legs again. They stood still for a moment by now my mama got up from the position and we were lifted up to standing now. I stood next to my brother and continued watching.

This all happened within 2 minutes.

My mama took his cycle out of the shed and said he will go and check on akka (his older sister, our mom) to granny. We looked at his retreating figure and were standing. By now everyone started gathering their belongings and were chattering about what happened a moment ago.

Everything seemed settled and everyone was back to normal within the next few minutes. They started laughing thinking about what happened how everyone fell like dam dam dam on the ground.

But no one went inside their house they were still lining up for the water supply to continue which was interrupted moments ago.

After 5 minutes, we heard a horn and as I turned to look who is coming, it was my mom. Me and my brother ran towards the scooter. She enquired about us. Worry clear on her face; she chatted with us few more minutes before asking shall we go back home. I looked at my brother and he looked at me and we said Nope the holiday is still on. Isn't it?

We are staying. She confirmed again with us "are you both sure?" We said yeah. Then she left for our home, and we waved her bye. My father was not with her as he went to the 28 km for bringing banana leaf as it was Aiyyappa Temple Annadanam day (A sacred Offering of Food in temple).

My mom left and in few minutes my mama appeared at the far corner peddling his cycle as fast as he can "I thought at the sight of him didn't he say he is going to check on mom but mom came here so where did he go". (Drastic side eye).

But as soon as he was in audible distance, he shouted brea.............wa..........er......... Har...........der bay................... Water.................. boat.............. fisher........................ Ru..........nnnnnn.

Everyone was perplexed as what was he trying to say in bits and pieces. But by then the aunty who was still sitting down on the floor after her water spilled took her pot and ran towards the tap thinking he was talking about water.

He shouted again "BREAKWATER IS GONE. IT'S WATER EVERYWHERE. THE FISHERMAN ARE RUNNING. WATER ENTERED HARMINDER BAY (part of the place where this whole thing was going on). RUN TOWARDS THE HILL. RUNNNNNNN....