🌠 Acceptance 🌠

The very first thing she did after arriving was hugging her father. She had missed him very much.
And as always, her Father wasn't the first one to let go. The hug lasted for a few seconds before the girl broke it to get a good look of her father's face.

"How are you, my star? And what's up with this unexpected visit?"

"Oh, this is not supposed to be unexpected. Didn't Lily inform you?"

"No, she didn't. I would have prepared all sorts of delicacies for you and-"

"It's okay. I am here because I missed you, not the food!"

She held her Father's hands. They were warm. Warm, despite the freezing weather. Only after meeting Claude did she realise how much of a blessing it was to have a Father like this man.

"How long are you staying?"

"Just 2 days, actually."

The smile on her father's face was instantly replaced with a frown.

"Why? Are they over-working you?"

"No. Not at all. The princess has gotten used to me now. I promised to her that I will be back just after 2 days."

"The Princess?"

She nodded her head softly.

"Did...you...by any chance...see his majesty?"

For the first time, she saw that look on her father's face. It was a mixture of being worried and anxious. But why?
Oh, it was such a dumb question. A man who slaughtered everyone in the Ruby Palace and killed his own brother. Obviously her father would be worried if his daughter were to encounter someone like that.

"No, I didn't."

She lied and earned a sigh of relief from her father.

"He really doesn't care about anything, does he? It must be Lily who manages everything at the Ruby Palace. Not being aware about who's with your daughter is...peak level of ignorance. Wouldn't you agree, my star?"

She nodded hesitantly. Claude was definitely very ignorant and cold to his own daughter. He never payed attention to Athanasia after Diana died.
In The Lovely Princess, there was no particular evidence that Claude actually loved Diana. Instead he had a photo frame of Penelope, his ex fiancé who seduced his brother and cheated on him in his bedroom.
But, most of the readers believed that the one Claude actually loved was Diana. And the reason why he hated Athanasia was that Diana died while giving birth to Athanasia. Though it made sense, it was just a fan theory. The author never confirmed anything about Claude's love interest.

"Are you done with whatever you were aiming to do? If not...how long will it take?"

They were now seated in the garden. While she admired her tulips, her father kept looking at her.

"Umm... I am not done...yet. And I have no idea how long it will take."

It was true. She had no idea how long would it take. Since Claude was being such a jerk and Athanasia...well, she wasn't Jeannette. But, since she made atleast some changes, she believed that she could make more. No matter how long it took. She would save Athanasia.

"I see. Well. I think you are ready to hear this now."

"Hear what, Father?"

Her father pressed his lips tightly as if restraining himself from saying something that he doesn't want to but...needs to.

"Okay...so...when you were 15...we...your mother and I...did something unforgivable to you."

Oh she had completely forgotten that this was Asteria's life for a moment. But what? Unforgivable? What did he mean by that?

"I do apologise for that. I do...and I don't want you to remember it. It was something...that we needed to do...it was necessary and I...still believe that it is. But...I have found a better way to approach that problem. I-"

"Father! Please speak clearly! For I don't understand what you're trying to say. What is it? Just tell me what is the 'problem'!?

Her father looked at her. His wrinkled face being full of sorrow.

"I...I want you to take over the duchy. Not Alaric."

What? But why? She was the younger sibling and above all...she was a female.

"You must be thinking...that it's not permissible in the Obelian Empire. Because you're a girl. That's true but... I have the permission of the high priest who recently passed away. It's very important. I have every paper in my bedroom. Every single paper with various religious references and his sign...the high priest's exclusive sign. Even the emperor has to obey the inheritance laws put forth by the high priest. And after countless struggles, he granted me the permission to have a female successor. We just have to show it to his majesty and...then you...can easily take over."

"But...why not Brother? Why me? And what's that... unforgivable thing that you mentioned...?"

"You...are...just better than your brother. That's it. And as I said... I don't want you to remember that thing. Please be kind enough to pretend 'that' never happened."

His eyes were teary and he was one word away from crying. And it pained her once again to see this man in this state once again. She didn't knew why, but it pained her. So yeah. Ofcourse she was going to be kind enough to pretend 'that' never happened. And she just stayed...silent...but this time, with a nod. With acceptance.

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ♡₊˚ 🦢・₊ ♪ ✧
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ        𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ  ㅤ────⋆⋅☆⋅⋆──

She was in her night gown. As she continued staring outside her bedroom window, she couldn't help but wonder if Athanasia was able to sleep. Or if Lily and Athanasia missed her.

"Sasha?"

"Yes, my lady?"

Sasha stopped preparing her bed and glanced at her.

"What...do you know about...me? Like before...my accident?"

"I...you were a person who loved to read books an-"

"No. Not that. What happened when I was 15?"

Sasha paused once again and glanced at her lady hesitantly.

"My lady...I...was not your lady-in-waiting when you were 15..."

"Then when were you hired?"

"Two month before your accident... everyone was fired... including your previous lady-in-waiting. And then...new staff was hired... including me."

The girl was bewildered. Why did they not inform her all this time!?

"Who...who fired them all?"

"It was...Your brother, my lady."

She was stunned yet again. Well yes his brother had the authority to do so...but, why? Why so suddenly?
She was right. Something was definitely up with them. Alaric and Asteria.
She had always thought of Asteria as a side character she was. A boring side character. But now...It seemed that Asteria had lived a complex life. Asteria too, had a story. Asteria was someone who had lived. It wasn't like she randomly came into existence. She had always existed. And there was more to being Asteria than just 'being a side character'.