CHP.25

Curse Release

At first I felt the hard, sturdy stone beneath my feet

At first I felt the hard, sturdy stone beneath my feet. I steadied myself ungracefully. Immediately this brilliant midnight purple erupted into my field of vision. An incomprehensible chasm of violets, dark inky blots, and an endless array of shining white pinholes canopied sweeping stone buildings. Large concrete pillars and archways embellished grand cliffsides, where the land would diverge to make purple veins, no land visible in the space between. There were cuts, drops, and varying levels of platforms that served as contours to the city. Detailed bridges connected the disjointed valleys, draping across ravines, climbing height, and stooping below. The natural roar of snaking rivers berated my ears, they coiled around buildings and straight off the edge into the abyssal purple of the underneath side. We stood on an overlooking platform off a cliffside with a spout of water overhead. Mist sprayed my neck and face, my shiny cheeks drew like curtains.

I snatched Fiach's wrist and urged him to the railing so I could sink my gaze into the empty sky toned chasm and discern its borders. There was no visible end, the rivers dove downwards as great waterfalls until they unraveled into meager strings.
No collision sound, a constant buzz. I could not offer a fitting description to accompany how fantastic every grand and microscopic detail truly was.

When I tore myself away to glance back at Fiach he was staring unblinkingly where my hand curled around his wrist, unbothered by the scenery. I furrowed my brows, tilting my head to get a better view of his face. It was blank, eyes coaxed mildly wide.

"Where are we?"

"Edhelreth. It's a port city in the fae realm." This time he made eye contact, relaying his geographical knowledge objectively.

"I've never seen anything remotely like this," I enthusiastically glanced back and forth between him and the cityscape, "especially the disconnected landmasses. Is it some sort of magic that keeps them airborne? Divinity?"

"I can see Dima never let you out of your cage," he remarked rather lightheartedly.

"No, she'd let me out for errands. On leash." I was a little embarrassed by my ignorance and total lack of experience, though I hoped the reason for my roseate flush was imperceptible.

He was perturbed by my nonchalance and indecency, and I laughed at his startle. Brushing my hair behind my ear I asked if he would take me down closer to the streets. I wanted to familiarize myself with the architecture and meet other people. Most of all I was eager to spend time with Fiach, desperately needing him to enjoy himself and redirect his efforts.
My intentions were beyond transparent. I did not mind whether he witnessed the extent of my care.

We lurched through space, skipping into a brief shift across the bottomless cavity and onto a moderately sized archway. I caught my barings rather quickly considering the short distance.

There were a few people passing by, each with elongated ears, elegantly slanted and punctured with various metal ornaments. Their eyes were wide set and sizeable, containing a sheen that had me mistakenly assume a state of mourning. The two which passed were tall and muscular, gorgeously santauring with long veils of clasped hair swaying rhythmically. Both were men, wearing loosely fashioned robes and trousers underneath.