CHP.8

An Unceremonious Retreat

The girl had nearly slipped from my hand, I could sense her somewhere in the peaceful midst behind me

The girl had nearly slipped from my hand, I could sense her somewhere in the peaceful midst behind me. Her breathing was loud, audible above the growls and grinding of teeth happening in the wolves' mouths. The despicable creatures were prowling through my land, their tails raised at an offensive height.

After I incited this whole plight, stealing the girl from that wretched goddess, she hadn't even bothered to come down to me herself. Somehow, I'd miscalculated, and granted her too much respect among my abhorrence. Since the repeated displays of unadulterated loyalty from her secretary, I felt vicariously mangled for her, but I knew in her own sick way she was grateful for it.

Dalia was my greatest, and only leverage I could ensnare Dima with. I was not losing her to those dogs. Eventually, she would be forced to take chase with her own two hands.

The frontmost wolf split from his pack and the distance between us was lost under his advance. He was sizable for a were, nothing to scoff at. For worse, the goddess wasn't trusting her secretary's life with just any meager alpha.

The tawny alpha launched himself off the ground from his compressed hind legs, his claws were driven into my chest as he rammed into me. The weight of him unwound my shirt from the seams and restyled a gash through my breast pocket.

I raised my arm as a divider from him by the time his body had been propelled midair. His head I caught with my pre-bitten hand, the long snout puckered inches from my face. From within the cage of my fingers I could see his beady eyes, in them there was not a sign of submission. He would see this through, unsurprisingly.

My claws punctured the sides of his furry wolf head as I threw him off my body. By the time he stumbled back up onto his paws once more, his pack had already reached me. They circled me, apprehensive, and waiting for the perfect opportunity, the slightest falter.

Their numbers grew as the back runners infiltrated further. Over two dozen hunch backed wolves were formulating an inauspicious encounter. Guarding my leverage and coming out of this conflict unscathed would be near impossible.
Under my ruling prerogative, I turned my back on the obstruction of glowering weres.

Snatching Dalia behind me, I held her wrist once more. Her eyes were wider than full Moons, never glancing over my shoulder or straying from my own two directed back at her. It was like she was looking for something there, in me.

I could feel the assault of numerous wolves across my back, shoulders, and legs, pounding into me. I had a cape of slithering, deft fur bodies. Jaws hunted for my vitals. The secretary dissipated as I shifted her far from here, far from the blood glued disfiguration made up of our anatomy. If she weren't so horror stricken I can imagine she would have knocked me over the head with her filtered indignation.

My shoulders caved when the last drop of her was spilled, gone.

Reaching to my back, I buried my arm in the fray, searching for a miscellaneous limb and tearing. They screeched and howled as I plucked them off of me and hurled their bodies into the ground. It seemed with each wolf I rid myself of I gained two more, they were relentless. Like mites, burrowing into me.