Masquerade

• Dedicated to All my fans and readers. Thanks bunches :)

Hey everybody! Thanks for reading this. I hope this isn't too confusing...I was really sleepy when I wrote it and I'm just too lazy to read through it all. On the other hand, voting and fanning doesn't take much effort at all. It's just a little click of a button, hint hint. :D

Chapter 5

Blanche

Find out what the prince is wearing to the masquerade.

That was Blanche’s task given to her by Lady Delilah, and at the time Blanche thought it would be easy to accomplish. Then, after a little while of thought, she realized it would not be as simple as it seemed. She couldn’t go right up to Prince Luther and ask him; Lady Delilah wanted Blanche to be discreet. She couldn’t look through the prince’s things because she didn’t want to get caught.

Blanche walked up the spiral stairs to the prince’s chambers contemplating what she would do when she heard voices coming from above. She couldn’t make out any words, but she knew that they must be coming from the prince’s room.

Not even thinking about the possible dangers, Blanche tiptoed up the last few stairs and, to her luck, found the prince’s door wide open. Blanche didn’t want to be seen, so she hid in the shadows and stayed quiet, listening to the voices.

“I hope everything the Countess has given you is to your liking, my prince?” Blanche recognized the Baroness’s voice. Blanche could tell from her tone that she was trying to be amiable, but Blanche knew the Baroness was never nice to anyone without a hidden purpose.

“Yes, everything is wonderful. Please convey my thanks to Elizabeth.” The prince called the Countess by her first name! They must have a very intimate relationship. Blanche couldn’t understand Lady Delilah’s interest in prince Luther when he was obviously claimed by the Countess, but it wasn’t Blanche’s place to question her friend.

“And you should know the Countess is very grateful for what you have given her.” Blanche made a face at the Baroness’s words. She could imagine all too well what was being referred to.

“But, Prince Luther, I have some news.”

“Go on.” The prince prompted. Blanche leaned in to hear.

“The Countess is throwing a masquerade ball. She will be wearing a gown with red on gold and a gold mask. She often wears some sort of wig, so you will identify her by her clothes. You are to seek her out and pretend you do not recognize her. Do you understand this?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Good.” The Baroness sounded pleased. “What will you be wearing?” Blanche perked her ears up.

“I think I will wear red with a black mask.” The prince sounded amused.

“Thank you for your time then, Prince Luther.” Blanche could hear the swish of the Baroness’s gown, so she shrunk back into the shadows. The Baroness passed right by her without noticing, and once she was gone Blanche relaxed. The door to the prince’s chambers was still open though, and she could hear the prince muttering under his breath.

“Damn father. Damn Countess.” His mutterings confused Blanche, but she knew what Lady Delilah wanted to know so she hurried down the stairs and back to her friend’s chambers.

Delilah

It was the evening of the masquerade ball, and Delilah was fully prepared. Thanks to the servant Blanche, she knew what the prince was wearing and had her outfit ready: Red on gold gown with a gold mask. Perfect.

The prince would think she was the Countess, and Delilah could finally speak to him herself without anyone realizing. Everything was perfect.

Delilah walked through the halls towards the Great Hall where guests were already dancing, drinking, and making merry. The sound of cheerful music reached Delilah’s ears, and she smiled. She was ready.