The Feast

Chapter 2

Prudence

Fruit tarts, poached hens, manchet, roast boar, cinnamon bread, wine, cider, and mead among other foods and drinks were being prepared in the castle kitchens, creating a delightful aroma that graced Prudence’s nose.

Being surrounded by all these exquisite delicacies was a dream come true for her, if only she were the one eating the meal. But no, unfortunately for Prudence, all this food was being prepared for the feast that was about to take place, for the Count’s funeral was over and the mourners were beginning to grow hungry.

Prudence was to stay in the kitchens cleaning all night, while Blanche would be serving food. This was Prudence’s usual job, for she had been deemed too unattractive to be seen by guests. Blanche was quite pretty though, one of the most appealing of the maids, so she was always chosen to wait on the guests. Prudence didn’t mind her job too much though; at least she didn’t have to dress up, and sometimes she got to eat the food left over on the plates before washing them. The Countess was not terribly generous when it came to feeding the servants of her household, so Prudence took what she could get her hands on.

“Prudence!” Blanche walked in a plain, unflattering beige dress. “Have you seen the Countess’s new ladies-in-waiting?”

Prudence shook her head. “No, why?”

“They’re beautiful! They move so elegantly and seem so charming!” Blanche smiled in  rapture, her eyes wide with delight. “If I could be like them, just for a day…” She sighed dreamily. “How perfect that would be!”

“They are nothing close to perfection!” Snapped Prudence irritably. “They are only more fake smiles and spiteful rumors spread behind their pretty fans. I should never like to be one of them, but for the great feasts like tonight’s.”

“And what a feast it is. Look at all this food! No doubt we’ll be permitted to have some of the food left over.” Blanche knew just what to say to cheer Prudence up. “Have you heard? The entertainers are coming tonight.” Prudence raised her eyebrows in surprise.

“No! The Count is fresh in the grave and yet they behave like this is cause for celebration! It was no secret that the Baroness of Lovell did not particularly enjoy the Count’s company, but what about his wife, the Countess? She was his wife for goodness knows how long, and the Count was such a nice man!” But Blanche was shaking her head sadly while Prudence protested.

“She does not seem to care.” Blanche spoke in a hushed voice. “In fact, at the funeral today I caught a glimpse of the Countess and would you believe it, she wore an orange sash over her black gown of mourning and a yellow rose in her hair!” Prudence’s eyes popped open disbelievingly. Everyone knew what yellow roses symbolized; the promise of a new beginning, and orange the color of change.

“What is she trying to say? That she is glad the Count has passed?” Blanche shrugged in answer. Movement in the corner of her eye alerted Prudence of how long she and her friend had been speaking. “Oh Blanche, you must go! The guests are being seated.” Blanche scurried off, leaving Prudence behind to ponder the Countess’s cheerful manner.

Blanche

The Countess’s strange choices of clothing did not remain on Blanche’s mind long. No, she was far too busy ogling the new ladies-in-waiting who were entering now behind the Countess.

 Behind the Countess came the lady Rebecca, who stood awkwardly while the Countess was announced, well-aware of all the eyes on her. Blanche could see her hand playing nervously with the fabric of her gown, a dark green dress similar to the one she had worn when Blanche had first glimpsed her, but not the same. Does she not own any other color? Blanche was around court life enough to know that green was not a fashionable color this season.