The Entertainment

Hey everyone! I hope you're all enjoying my story so far. Sorry I couldn't update yesterday(computer troubles). Anyway, please don't forget to vote, comment, and fan. It's always appreciated!

Now on with the story!

Chapter 3

Delilah

The feast was over, the guests returning to their chambers, but Delilah was not quite ready to retire to her chambers just yet. No, she wanted, needed to see that glorious man one more time. To her eyes, he was like an angel in this depressing hell of a castle.

In one huge lump, the crowd of guests unceremoniously exited the dining hall. Not wanting to be pushed around, Delilah stood up straight and tall with authority and the crowd parted to go around her.

 Pleased with the effect she had on the guests, Delilah craned her neck as attractively as possible, searching for her angelic man. Then, out of the corner of her eye, she caught a glimpse of him in his turquoise tunic, and Delilah could have sworn she felt her heart flutter.

No! Delilah reprimanded herself. He may well be handsome, but he is still a man and that makes him naught but a game to me.

Blanche

There she was! Blanche could make her out standing in the middle of the surging crowd, standing out like a mermaid who resisted being buffeted by waves.

Blanche watched as the beautiful woman- what was her name? Lady Delilah, that was it. How Blanche wished she could go up and speak to her, but after her embarrassing incident with the Countess, Blanche just didn’t have the confidence to.

Once the crowd had dispersed, Blanche was still in her hiding place behind a stone pillar, and the Lady Delilah was still standing, staring at the Countess’s guests of honor, Domn Vandeviere and his son, the young Prince Luther Vandeviere, heir to all his father’s lands. The two men were in quiet conversation, and she was still watching. This was Blanche’s chance…

“My lady?” Blanche approached the Lady Delilah cautiously, her eyes on the floor modestly.

“Yes?” Lady Delilah’s voice was smooth and even, but she sounded a little surprised.

“You seemed…interested in the two men over there.” Blanche raised her eyes to the lady’s face.

“Yes.” Lady Delilah answered slowly, glancing back at the men. “Who are they?”

“The Countess’s honored guests, the Domn Vandeviere and his son, Prince Luther Vandeviere, madame.”

Lady Delilah nodded slowly, thinking it over. “Domn…Transylvanian ruler then?” Blanche nodded.  “Why are they guests of honor?”

Blanche answered this in a whisper, knowing it was gossip, but the Countess’s behavior at the dinner table had confirmed it. “The prince is the Countess’s lover. He and his father are staying in the castle with the Countess, and who knows? Perhaps the Countess plans to marry the prince.” Lady Delilah looked at Blanche, shocked.

“But the prince is so much younger than she!”

“Yes, but the Countess wishes she were young. She takes much pride in her appearance. Maybe the prince makes her feel youthful again.”

Blanche could see the Lady Delilah processing the information.

“I’m sorry for the Countess’s behavior towards you this evening. You were undeserving of the humiliation.” Blanche stared at Lady Delilah in shock.