Episode 26: Toni- Chocolate

"Hear me out." Larry adjusted his glasses. "I still don't think I want to be a hunter, but I do think that General McBrennan made some extremely valid points."

"Why are we even still discussing this? That was two days ago. We should be partying!" I shimmied my shoulders for emphasis.

"The semester won't be over until our evaluations are filed," Lyric reminded me.

"Damn, I forgot..."

"How?" She gestured towards the headmistress's house, drawing closer with each step. "You at least remember we're going on ride-alongs today, right?"

"Shut up, burnt girl."

Di, Larry, and Lyric laughed and, after a moment, I laughed too.

"Back to my point. The gaps in human history coincided with time periods where steady rifts are recorded to have opened between The Linchpin and either Heaven or Hell."

"With our current knowledge and what evidence exists from these time periods, that correlation is circumstantial at best." Di wrote notes in her ever-present notebook.

"But you're writing it down because you know I could be on to something!"

"You might have found something worth researching," she admitted with a smirk.

The two prattled on about the kind of stuff nerds discussed and I took the opportunity to pull Lyric close.

"Hey, are you ready to tell me where those extra bruises came from or why you have laps for the next four months?"

"Not really..."

I studied her, annoyed that she wouldn't share. I'd been trying to respect her privacy, but friends had no need for secrets. Holding my tongue, I put my arm across her shoulder.

"Fine. Keep your secret," I lowered my voice, "for now. Are you ready for today? Hopefully they keep the four of us together this time."

"That would be cool."

Bruises under her eye, bruises over her ribs. No matter what she said, I knew Lyric didn't get them in Perdy's self defense class. Shit, I'd examined her while she slept and found weird marks on her wrists. I hate to admit it, but I was starting to wonder if Purell had been right all along and the teachers were up to some weird sex stuff. I enjoyed sex stuff, but consensual sex stuff with far less bruising.

The hairs on the back of my neck rose up as those thoughts went through my mind. A growl built in my chest as I turned. The others stopped when I did. Duncan stalked toward us in his human skin; wearing an open button up, slacks, and no shoes. He was rugged and handsome, in a dirty dog kinda way. We growled at one another then he winked at me and approached Di.

"Hey, Blue Gal. I wanted to catch you before you left."

"Well you found me," Di said with a coy flip of her hair. "What's on your mind?"

"I was thinking about what we talked about last night..."

Di's cheeks brightened. "I was thinking about it too—"

The brute dipped her and kissed Di long and rough. Lyric whistled and Larry covered his eyes. Pulling Di up, Duncan grinned and ran off, howling like a stupid mutt. Di watched him leave, eyes wide and cheeks rosy.

"What was that?" Lyric asked.

Pressing her fingers to her lips, Di's eyes sparkled. Her hair slowly shifted from pink to red and back to blue.

"Last night, I told Duncan I wondered what it was like to kiss someone."

"Wait, was that your first kiss?" Lyric whistled again. "Wow..."