chapter 7: Mr. Mateo

Outfit and hair above^

I woke up getting ready for the day taking a shower brushing my teeth doing my hair and putting on my clothes I wanted to make sure I wasn't late today so I made sure I got up early

Time skip to Rabbi Rebecca's class

Rabbi Rebecca and Cantor Jerry were singing a song: "Bim bam bim bim bam bim bim bim bim bim bam chiri chiri chiri, Bim bam bim bim bam bim bim bim bim bim bam Shabbat shalom hey, Shabbat shalom hey, Shabbat Shabbat Shabbat Shabbat shalom, bim bam bim bim bam bim bim bim bim bim bam."

I raised my hand, and in a sing-song voice, Rabbi Rebecca said, "Yes, Seema." I asked in a regular voice, "Can I go to the bathroom?" In a sing-song voice, Rabbi Rebecca replied, "Yes, you can go pee pee, but quickly." I laughed, got up, and went to the bathroom.

After me, Stacy raised her hand and asked if she could go in a regular voice too. rabbi Rebecca said. "Yes, hurry up," and she continued the song.

After they finished the song, Rabbi Rebecca asked a question, and Andy raised his hand. "Yes, Andy, please enlighten us," Rabbi Rebecca said. But all he said was, "I've got to go to the bathroom too." Rabbi Rebecca rolled her eyes and said, "Nobody ever thinks to go before they come to class." She turned back to Andy and said, "Fine, Andy, but quickly," and they started singing again because Cantor Jerry said so. He strummed on the guitar again as he walked out of the classroom.

Time skip to her walking out of the bathroom

Leah's POV

I walked out of the bathroom, turning the corner, and saw Mateo surrounded by a bunch of kids calling him "Mr. Mateo." As I approached, I heard one kid call him "Mr. Potato." Mateo looked up and said hi leah, as I teased, "Can't believe you're not even Jewish and you go to Temple more than I do." He replied, "Yeah, I go to church every Sunday, might as well fill in the other 6 days for some holiness too." I glanced down and saw two little girls holding hands and I smiled.

Mateo continued, "I'm actually going to help these guys make challah." The kids corrected him, saying "challah!" The right way as Mateo chuckled, "Okay, okay, challah, challah, that's what I said." I laughed, and Mateo added, "We're waiting for Ms. Lippman to unlock the kitchen; she's taking forever."

I reminisced, "I remember when I was in Mrs. Lippman's class 6 years old, not a care in the world." One of the little girls said, "I got cares; my mom says if I don't learn the candle blessings, I can't play Call of Duty anymore." Mateo replied, "Oh, that's heavy," I bent down to talk to the girl looking her in her eyes and said "Maybe Mr. Mateo will teach you; he probably knows it by now." I looked up at Mateo as I said it, and he started singing "Baruch atah adonai Eloheinu Melech ha'o." Then kids cheered as Mrs. Lippman unlocked the kitchen, and they ran over.

Mateo called out, "Mrs. Lippman," and I said goodbye to Mateo. He waved, saying, "See you later, Leah," as I smiled and walked away.

In the hallway, I greeted people with a shalom as I headed back to class. I seen Andy and Stacy holding hands while walking in the temple but I brush it off and continued walking to class However, when I returned, Rabbi Rebecca wasn't there. I sat down and copied the notes from the board.

Time skip to Stacy's house

We walked into Ronnie's house, and I noticed Stacy was crying, her eyeliner smudged down her face. In the living room, Stacy's parents were on the phone with, I think, Rabbi Rebecca, trying to calm Mr. Friedman down and prevent Andy from being put in a wood chipper. Stacy's mom mentioned Stacy had just come home, and she ran upstairs.

As Zara, Ronnie, and I entered the kitchen, Zara and I made ourselves bowls of cereal. Ronnie tried to calm her dad, but he stormed upstairs as Stacy slammed her door. Zaara and I exchanged glances, commenting, "He didn't take a breath," and "Not at all," before returning to the kitchen to get our cereal.

From upstairs, we heard Mr. Friedman exclaim, kissing a boy in the temple! You know how disrespectful that is? Every time you walk into that synagogue, you are declaring to everyone and God that I am Jewish and I am a part of this." Stacy retorted, "Maybe I don't want to be." Mr. Friedman insisted, "Yes, you do." Stacy countered, "I was born into God's kingdom." Mr. Friedman yelled, "Yeah, well God wants you out right now, how's that?" Stacy then yelled, "I hate you," and Mr. Friedman replied, "You don't mean that."

Zaara and I joined Ronnie at the kitchen island, and Ronnie said I was crazy and I never said that to him I asked, "She kissed Andy in the temple?" Ronnie confirmed with a "yeah." Upstairs, Mr. Friedman yelled again, "You hate me!" Stacy's mom answered the door to Lydia's mom, but I couldn't hear their conversation from where I was. Mr. Friedman shouted, "That's why we fought the Nazis so you could have a mojito bar!"

Stacy's dad continued yelling, "Are you nuts?" Stacy retorted, "Get out of my room, stop ruining my life!" Mr. Friedman argued, "I paid for this room!" Stacy screamed, and her dad said, "Really?" Lydia's mom greeted me Ronnie and Zaara, commenting on how big they had gotten, before Stacy yelled, "You'll be the reason I start doing drugs!" Her dad replied, "Same here."

After a moment of silence, Zara and Ronnie sighed, "Hard and very, very stressful." Mr. Friedman muttered, "Good God," while Stacy's mom and Lydia's mom continued their conversation Stacy and her dad argued for a little while longer untill Lydia's mom left Then, Mrs Friedman got Stacy's computer and was typing some things in until Mr. Friedman yelled again saying, "Andy Goldfarb is going in the goddamn wood chipper!"

Time skip to somebody's random pool party

I sat on the side, watching Kim and Megan make a TikTok. Aaron had gotten a new harmonica, but he was playing it very badly until Andy took it and threw it in the pool. We all laughed. Then I glanced over at Mateo. I smiled at him, and he smiled back, nodding his head in a greeting way.

Amidst the laughter, Kim asked Anaya if she got that on camera. Stacy then chimed in, "Hey look, we're twinning," pointing at her shoes and then Kim's. Megan teased, "Twinning? What are we, in fourth grade?" As They all laughed but me and Mateo.

------------------------------------------------------------------

1207 words
Hey how are my little people I hope you guys are okay and hope y'all liked this one y'all are so spoiled I stayed home to write for y'all anyways bye guys love you ❤️💖❤️ and don't forget to vote and comment and what do y'all think the bat mitzvah theme should be pick and tell me in the comments