Part Four

TRELAWNEY'S DIVINATION CLASSROOM

[Harry, Ron and Hermione sit on fat little pouffes in a murky, incense-laden room, along with Neville, Dean, Seamus, Lavender, Parvati and others.]

PROFESSOR TRELAWNEY: Welcome, my children. In this room, you shall explore the mysterious art of Divination. In this room, you shall discover if you possess...

Lily was already glaring at the classroom on screen. Divination was the one subject she just couldn't get the hang of.

[A crimson scrim flutters and Sybil Trelwaney, Divination Professor, glides dramatically into view, eyes huge and bug-like behind enormous glasses.]

PROFESSOR TRELAWNEY:  ... the Sight. Hello. I am Professor Trelawney. Together, we shall cast ourselves into the future. But know this. One either has the Gift or not. It cannot be divined from the pages of a book. Books only cloud one's Inner Eye. 

HERMIONE: (under her breath) What rubbish. 

Lily went over and high-fived Hermione.

[Ron spins. Frowns at Hermione.]

RON:  Where'd you come from? 

HERMIONE:  Me? I've been here all along. 

Narcissa narrowed her eyes at the screen. She was definitely not there before...

PROFESSOR TRELAWNEY:  (spinning on Neville) You, boy! Is your grandmother well? 

NEVILLE:  I... I think so. 

PROFESSOR TRELAWNEY:  I wouldn't be so sure of that. (continuing) The first term will be devoted to the reading of tea leaves. If all goes well, we will proceed to palmistry, fire omens, and finally... the crystal ball. (eyeing Parvati) By the way, dear, beware a red haired man. 

[Parvati eyes Ron dubiously. Edges her pouffe away.]

Harry chuckled at the memory of the Yule Ball and the issue of finding dates. He dodged Ron's arm quickly.

PROFESSOR TRELAWNEY:  Unfortunately, classes will be disrupted in February by a nasty bout of flu. I myself will lose my voice. And in late spring, one of our number will... leave us forever. 

Hermione smiled at the happy memory of her exiting the Divination classroom for the very last time.

[As the class exchanges uneasy glances, Trelawney smiles brightly.]

PROFESSOR TRELAWNEY:  Well then. Shall we? 

[Inside, a cloud of tea leaves mutates oddly. Harry, sitting opposite Ron now, frowns at the leaves, consults the symbols in the textbook (Unfogging the Future) at his elbow. Trelawney walks amongst them, robes flowing.]

PROFESSOR TRELAWNEY: Broaden your minds, my dears. And allow your eyes to see... beyond. 

Barty and Evan immediately started mimicking the woman.

[Trelawney takes Lavender Brown's cup, peers inside.]

PROFESSOR TRELAWNEY:  A five-leaf clover... You can expect to wake with a horrible rash tomorrow morning, dear. (then, casually) Mr. Longbottom, after you've broken your first cup... CA-CHINK! 

[Neville fumbles the cup in his hands and the brittle crash of china is heard.]

PROFESSOR TRELAWNEY:  ... would you be so kind as to select one of the blue ones? I'm rather partial to the pink.