A New Institute

Chapter 2

I woke to the soft sound of someone knocking on my door. I sat up and pushed the heavy covers off of myself.

I opened the door and found Sophie standing outside the door, holding a green dress in her hands.

“Brother Enoch is here, so I came to help you get dressed.”

“Oh, that's not necessary Sophie, I can dress myself.” I told her, letting her inside the room.

“Are you sure miss? The strings can be awful hard to do by one's self.”

Strings? Oh, wait I'm in the 1800's I can't wear a pair of jeans and a T-shirt here. I have to dress in the latest style, which to me is way out of date.

I felt Sophie tightening the strings on the back of the dress, but it never seemed like it was going to fit me properly. I was slimmer than most girls, from my training, but I was also well-muscled as well. But this dress hung off of me in the middle, like it was made for someone slightly bigger than I was.

“If I can't make this fit tighter, Miss Jessamine will be awfully angry to find that someone here is smaller than her.”

I cracked a smile and when she got it to fit as best as she could, she stood in front of me. For the first time I looked her straight in the face. She was beautiful, with her flawless skin, except on one side of her face ran a long scar, from just beneath her eye to her jaw.

I didn't let it bother me, because obviously she was still beautiful.

“Thank you so much Sophie, I really appreciate your help.”

“But miss, what about your hair?”

“It's fine, I always wear it down.” I told her, glancing in the mirror for a swift second.

She was giving me a look of horror when I turned around. “What have I said?”

“Its just that girls above the age of ten wear their hair up, not down.” She told me, holding a silver brush in her hand.

“Oh, of course, different time period, different rules.” She ushered me to a chair and I sat down while she brushed through my straight hair with rhythmic strokes.

I felt as she picked up my hair and put it in pins, holding it back into an elegant bun.

When she was done, I looked like some fancy girl who grew up in the 1800's, ironically, that was the time period I was in.

“Come on miss, I'll take you to the drawing room.” I followed her to the drawing room, nearly tripping over the stupid skirts a few times.

When we arrived, everyone else was already there, and I could feel all eyes on me as I walked over to the Silent Brother who stood in his white robes.