Original (Sensory Overload)

(Just wanted to say real quick, that this is my first time trying to write about a topic like this. Feel free to give me feedback on how I did. Especially if something doesn't seem right. I would greatly appreciate constructive criticism! ^^)

You had decided to throw a party in your back yard. The weather was beautiful and warm. Perfect opportunity for a BBQ! 

Naturally you had invited everyone over and asked them to contribute to the party by bringing something along.

You were the host, so you provided the location, the grill, the charcoal and your favorite food.
Howdy and Barnaby had brought a selection of meat and sausages.
Sally had brought vegetarian options for grilling.
Poppy had made a few salads.
Julie had brought paper plates, cutlery and napkins.
Eddie and Frank had taken care of drinks.
And Wally had brought a basket full of apples, that Howdy couldn't seem to remember selling.

Generally speaking the evening had come along great. The delicious smell of burning charcoal and grilled food wavered through the air. Music and chatter filled the background. Everyone was gathered around your garden table and having a good time.

Howdy had taken your spot by the barbeque so you could sit down and eat as well. Now he was enthusiastically clinking the metal tongs in one of his four hands and chatted with Barnaby. They were sharing the newest puns and jokes, their loud laughter occasionally interrupting them.

Frank was doing his best not to let it bother him, while he told Eddie about the latest discoveries he made with his studies, while sipping a non-alcoholic cocktail. The mailman was listeneing intently of course. His chin propped up on his hand and a light blush dusting his cheeks.

Julie had been the first to finish her food and had taken it upon herself to be the DJ for tonight. Sally had soon joined her, demanding a karaoke event.

Poppy and Wally sat next to each other. As you were eating, you complimented her on her salad.

"I just don't know how you do it, Poppy! It's so juicy and fresh! But at the same time not soggy at all!" You exclaimed after swallowing another mouthful of her layered salad.

She chuckled and covered her beak with her wing. "Oh dear. It really isn't anything special."

You delved into a conversation about her recipes and neat little cooking tricks with her.

All the while Wally was drawing quietly beside Poppy. He stopped every now and then to listen to the two of you talk with a curious tilt of his head. Sometimes (notably when the background noises got particularly loud) he just freezed though, staring blankly at his artwork. 

You didn't pay too much attention to this behavior just yet. Simply brushing it off as him thinking about how to continue his drawing.

"Alright everyone, that was the last sausage!" Howdy shouted over the remaining chatter. "What do we do with the remaining embers?"

You thought for a moment. "Hmm, what about a bonfire?"

General agreement was voiced throughout your back yard. With a nod and a smile, Howdy took the tray with gleaming embers out of the grill. He went to the fire pit in the middle of your yard and dumped them in there. With a few branches and other pieces of wood piled on top of the embers, the fuzzy green caterpillar quickly ignited a neat little bonfire, that quickly became the new center of attention.

Now that their appetites were satisfied, the neighbors each grabbed their chairs and put them down in a circle around the bonfire.

Poppy however got up and started clearing the table. As soon as you saw this you jumped to your feet as well.