VIII.

The twins sit side by side, each of their gloved hands folded onto one another as it rested on the front of their vibrant-colored dresses as they stood in front of the departing marquis.

The man's finger rested on the edge of his black hat before removing it from the top of his head with a bow, "Until next time, Annika and Annalise Lavigne." He says as his torso straightens.

The siblings nod slowly, their eyes watching the man who had already turned around and was now walking away to the approaching carriage.

He looked back once more before entering it and closing the door, a courtesy wave from outside the window as the vehicle began to leave Lavigne's family residence.

Annalise turned to her sister, "When will he come back?" she asked as she put her arms behind her back, curious as to when the mysterious masked man would return.

"Next week, I suppose. The Marquis is also a busy man, Annalise." She lectures, swatting her black hair off her shoulder as it falls softly on her back while she watches her younger sister frown.

There was a change in Annalise's expression, "The queen's birthday banquet is soon, right?!"

It was true. The imperial family was holding a large party for the empire as the queen's birthday would soon take place and everyone had no choice but to attend as their absence would be considered treason.

Annika nodded her head, "It should be a few weeks from now. How could you forget?"

the younger twin locked her arm with her sister, "They're still holding banquets for that old lady? I heard she's already balding!" Annalise whispers before her mouth is covered by a delicate gloved hand.

"Annalise! What will you do if others hear you? do you want our family to be publicly executed?" she warns her sister with knitted eyebrows and a frown which makes Annalise fold her lips into a thin line.

"Sister, don't be like that! you think the same as me too!" the younger sister defends.

"everyone feels the same way as you do, Annalise. Yet there's a reason nobody has said it aloud! Do you have a death wish?" the older sister sarcastically says as she walks side to side with her sister back into the manor.

"Should I just get engaged to the crown prince then?" Annalise whispers playfully with a smile which makes her sister scowl.

"If anything, try to avoid that lunatic." Annika sighed, a laugh immediately erupting from Annalise, "You're right, I'll keep that in mind." she agreed, her hand going to pat her older sister's shoulder, "Annika, what should we do today? We have no lessons."

Annika turned to her sister with a tired smile, Annalise was truly all over the place, she couldn't keep up with her at all, "should we visit the capital? Many new pieces from France have arrived in boutiques." she proposes, studying her sister's face for her reaction.

"Lovely! Shall we shop for a gown to wear at the upcoming banquet?" she smiles widely, her hands fluttering her fan swiftly to show her excitement.

She receives a side eye from her elder sister, "Father spoils you far too much." she laughs, "You've picked up his habit of thoughtlessly spending money."

Annalise picks up the pace, cupping her dress with her hands, "It's only natural. I'm too beautiful. But of ofcourse, not as beautiful as you, Annika."

_______________𝜗𝜚______________

"My lady, I know you're upset about the swordsmanship class cancelations, but this week must be solely dedicated to preparing you for the banquet. No matter how pretty you are, what good will it be if you are ridiculed?" the etiquette teacher begins to lecture, closing the book at her desk and walking over to Annika's lectern.

The black-haired beauty sighs, turning away from the instructor and gazing out the large pointy windows with a direct view to the sunny garden, where she should be right now, practicing swordsmanship.

It was soon the queen's birthday banquet, a big deal for everyone and everything. For the past few weeks, the empire put pauses on their businesses and has dedicated to decorating the kingdom solely to her Majesty's tastes. There would be a festival held in the capitol for one full week in celebration which was always a funner time compared to the actual birthday banquet.

The teacher frowned as she looked at the young girls solemn gaze to the outside. Her gloved hands graze Annikas desk before walking to the windows, opening them slightly where a nice refreshing breeze entered the room as well as a few flower petals that were swept up in the wind. The nobles gaze seemed to finally soften.

Annika slouched in her seat, her elbows placed on the top of her desk as she lowered her head, "Miss Romanov, cant we take a break?" the teacher didnt hesitate to shake her head no as she returned to the black haired girls side, fixing her posture.

"You have a duty to present yourself with the most grace, no matter where you are, Lady Lavigne." Annika sighs. The teacher continues as she begins to walk around the room, moving her hands as she spoke.

"As we are not like men, theres not many options for us to do, not many purposes we have in this world. You know that." She pauses, "as men have their strength and knowledge, the women have their beauty. Maintaining our appearance, how we crotchet, our dance, music, and manners is the job for the woman race."

Grabbing the book from her desk, she picks it up and opens it slowly, "against the many men who ridicule us, the sole power we have to defend ourselves is our beauty. You must understand that fully."

"I do, Miss Romanov." Annika was beginning to grow frustrated. "You've been sitting for a while, let's start from the top again with dancing." the teacher moves to the next subject, gesturing for the woman to stand and run her dance routine.

_______________𝜗𝜚______________

Chapter 8, end.