V.

𝐧𝐚𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐭𝐲
𝐧𝐚𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐭𝐲
𝐧𝐚𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐭𝐲

Responding to her remark just seconds after, "let's hope you'll prove it."

The masked man holds his bronze handled sword at the throat of the woman as it's blade was just centimers away from piercing a crimson colored lake at her skin.

Annika laid on the ground with her sword a few couple feet away from her hand which was now covered with dust as well as her clothes.

"With this, you would have been dead." He says, implying his win and her defeat as he helps the woman get onto her feet. Annika scowls under her breath and begins to roughly dust down her cklothing before looking up at the Marquess.

Around them, the sky was starting to darken, both people taking note of this as silence once more bloomed throught the pair. "Should we call it a day, Lady Lavigne?"

The woman nodded, following behind the man as he took his belongings from the bench and folded them onto his left arm like a clothing rack.

Annika had ordered the servants to return the weapons as the pair continued their walk into the manor before stopping in the entrance hall where many servants were lined up parallel with the door just a bit outside of the long red carpet.

"Then, ill take my leave, my lady." The masked man pleas goodbye with a small bow before being stopped by the woman with a grasp of his sleeve, "youre going home? At this time?" She asks, her eyebrows furrowed with disapproval of the situation as the mans dark eyes looked back into her blue ones.

"Our lesson is over, I must return home." he explains, his body turning 360 degrees to once again face the woman fully as her mouth curled into a frown with slightly squinted eyes.

"Will you be able to get home safely at this time? It'll be dark." Annika says once more before another voice in the hall was heard.

"Sister!"

A highpitched call behind the pair was heard approaching them, making them both look to see the source of noise was none other than annalise herself.

"What— oh? Whos this man?" she implores with a sly smile as majority of her figure hid behind her elder sister whos mouth was agape before closing shortly after.

"Annalise, this is the swordsmanship instructor you heard about earlier today. We've just finished our lesson." Annika says with her gaze locked on her curious sister whos eyes kept flickering from the man to the person speaking.

"Don't tell me youre sending home this late, sister?! Marquis, stay here for the night." She proposes as she steps away from behind Annika's build.

The masked man had seemed lost for words from the womans words as he just stood their with no expression. The sounds of footsteps running up to the twins had taken him out of his lost state when the maids came into view.

The younger twins smile had grew wider as she turned to her servant, "Charlotte, perfect timing! Tell our father the marquis will be sleeping here tonight." She says with silk behind her voice as she ignored the horrified expression the woman had on her face, "M-my lady! The Grand Duke wo--" her scrambled words were cut of as Annalise walked away from the maid and closer to her sister and the man, "Don't mind my father, just do as I said."

Even annika was also lost for words. Just earlier today, her sister was so determined on the marquis being an unworthy noble. People wouldnt believe it if they had seen the hospitality she was offering to him now.

The marquis gave a short sigh before accepting her forced proposal, "Pardon for the intrusion."

Annalise's eyes light up as she turns to her sister with an enthusiastic expression, "Look at the way he talks! It's so serious!" She fails to whisper as her words were perfectly heard from the man in question. Annika succeeds to whisper something back to her sister which seemed to make her gasp an, "oh," seeming as she was told the marquis had heard her rather rude words perfectly.

The younger sister shrugged it off as she turned her gaze back to the broad shouldered man infront of her and her sibling with a sheepish smile.

"Do you have any relatives at home that might worry about your absence?" Annika says, speaking up for the first time in a few minutes which makes the mans eyebrows raise and his eyes perk to hers in a heartbeat as if her voice contained something so fascinating.

When her words were processed, he answered after, "none, my lady."

Annika's focus had relocated to her sister beside her as another small gasp was heard, following with a kind smile, "There's no need to be so formal, Marquis. We're all practically friends now, arent we?" She says, fiddling with a long strand of her hair lazily.

"If that's alright with you both." The masked man replies where seconds after the maid just a few minutes from earlier is heard approaching once more from the same direction she just left from.

"My Lord, Please follow me, I'll guide you to your temporary room." The maid said with a low bow and the same emotionless tone the man used often.

Annalise raise her gloved index finder to the corner of her mouth, making the small crowds attention turn to her as her angelic voice spoke once more, "theres no need for that, charlotte." She says, enchanting the maid with her kind smile.

The servants expressions seems to soften from the sudden statement, resulting to her jamlbing her words before being saved from wasting her breath, "Me and my sister will show the Marquis where we will be staying, you've worked hard, charlotte. You have the rest of the day off." She speaks slow and mellow as she softly rests a hand on the maids shoulder to reassure her all will be fine.

The maid fiddles with her fingers before being able to confidently speak, "As you wish, my lady." the maid bows and begins to elegantly walk away with a calm composure despite the wide smile she was trying to hold in.

Annalises warm gaze turns to Annika and the man as she crosses her arms, "Follow us," she says, turning around in sync with her sister as they both began to move forward without a second glance.

chapter 5, end