04 | the magic word

(season one, episode three)

"BABY, THE MORE YOU FIDGET, the longer it takes. So don't, okay?" Lori preached to the boy in front of her. A pair of scissors was in one of her hands and the other was used to gently guide Carl's head.

"I'm trying."

"Well, try harder," Lori remarked, focused on the task in front of her.

"You're lucky it ain't me cuttin' your hair," Rylee added. "I would've accidentally chopped your ear off by now."

"If he keeps squirming; I might." Lori continued, straightening his skull once again. She wasn't a terrible hairdresser, for being a self-taught one who only cut her family's hair in the kitchen, but not extraordinary either. Lori was however far better at it than Rylee would ever be.

Shane chuckled and gently prodded Rylee's arm. "He thinks this is bad, wait until he starts shavin'."

Rylee let out a soft groan, wrinkling her nose. "Carl with a razor? That's a disaster waitin' to happen," she quipped, a hint of amusement in her voice.

"He wouldn't be able to pull off a beard anyways," Rylee commented, running her hand through her hair. Carl glared at her, tilting his head a bit causing Lori to have to straighten it again. "Dad tried to grow his out once, and let's just say it was not a sight for sore eyes."

Lori's lips pressed into a thin line, her head drooping; awkwardness filled the air as the tension built. Rylee hadn't meant to bring him up, but, God, she was so sick of the topic being taboo.

She wanted to talk about him, to honor his memory, instead, they were acting as if he had never existed.

Shane cleared his throat loudly and Rylee took it as her cue to escape. She felt ashamed, to say the least. Rylee was also in desperate need of a break.

She felt useless. While everyone else was busy working around the camp, helping keep it safe, she was stuck being a kid.

Not old enough to do the important work, to do the things that amounted to something; but not young enough to be clueless about their current situation.

She felt out of place, floating around accomplishing nothing, an unwanted pest that took up space.

Someone else should be eating the food she ate, drinking the water she drank, inhaling the oxygen she had the privilege to breathe. Someone who would contribute to the survival of the people here; someone like her dad. Rick Grimes would do anything and everything he could to keep all these people alive, not just his family.

He would fight for everyone, while all frivolous Rylee did was care about her own flesh and blood. He was selfless and Rylee was the opposite. Rick would be a much more useful survivor than she was.