03 | a lost cause

(season one, episode two)

"DO YOU THINK THEY'RE POISONOUS?" Amy asked, referring to the mushrooms they were grabbing; her stare intense as she judged the food.

"I don't even care if they are," Rylee replied, reaching for the object, about to put it in her mouth, before Amy slapped her hand away. "I need to eat somethin' that isn't fish. My tastebuds are deterioratin' with every bite."

"It's not that bad," Amy stated; Rylee glared at her and the blonde sighed. "Yeah, it's that bad."

Birds chirped in tranquility around them. Yesterday, Amy had found a small spot of grass and decided that they should try and scavenge what they could. The victim to help her do so was none other than Rylee Grimes.

So far they had found; a bloody boot (they concluded that they weren't going to keep it); some flowers; a bunch of eccentric-looking nuts; and the mushrooms they were collecting.

Rylee gave another attempt at testing the mushrooms and Amy smacked her hand away again.

"Your mom wouldn't be too thrilled with me returning with your lifeless body," Amy commented. "She wouldn't have let you eat it and neither will I."

"I can be pretty persuasive," Rylee noted. "I would rather die than eat that fish for the rest of my life."

The pair chuckled as they got up from the ground and strolled over to the rest of the group.

"Did you get anything good?" Lori shouted from across the camp.

"Good mornin' to you too," Rylee remarked resulting in an eye roll from Lori. "Just a bunch of mushrooms," she conveyed, holding up the red bucket.

"How do we know if they're poisonous?" Amy asked as she inspected the food.

"Only one way to know."

"I already tried suggesting that," Rylee added. "She wouldn't let me."

"She did the right thing by not letting you." Lori declared, a small smile tugging at her lips. "You gotta watch what you eat, be responsible about it. Maybe Shane ought to give you another one of his survival courses,"

"Oh, please, I'm extremely responsible seeing as I'm already abstainin' from eating that horrendous, sleazy fish."

"Lori, will you ask Shane when he gets back?" Amy asked. "About the mushrooms — not the survival course."

"Yeah, you got it."

Amy sat down on the log while Lori did the opposite, brushing the grass off her pants while standing up.