Chapter Fourteen

CALLIE'S POV

Naomi and I made our way along the path of the apple orchard, lots of small birds kept dashing in and out of the trees, it was beautiful to watch. Finally the old gardeners huts came into view "you sure you want to do this now?" Naomi questions as we get closer. "Yeah. Let's get it over with" I shrug.

The two guards at the entrance of the huts greet us and instantly open the door. We make our way inside and are met in the living area by a smiling Steph, Leigh, Cole, Ryan and Mal. "Finally" Steph laughs as she wraps her arms around me with the rest of them following her actions tightening me into a group hug. "Be careful" we hear a dark voice growl.

They instantly take a step back from me and Mal comes into view stopping by my side. He protectively puts an arm around my waist "you okay?" He questions as he rubs circles on my lower back. Naomi looks at me curiously as I take a step forward which causes his arm to drop and his eyebrows furrow in confusion. "yeah I'm good. Where is he?" I ask whilst keeping my eyes on Steph,Leigh, Cole, Ryan and Naomi.

Cole clears his throat and walks towards the hallway "he's in the room at the end of the hall" I nod and follow him. I stop when I hear the everyone following "you can all wait here. Naomi come with me" I say sternly before I continue to walk along the hall.  Naomi reassures Ryan that she will be okay before following me.

As we reach the door Mal puts his hand out stopping me from unlocking it. I turn and look up at him "Move" I say sternly looking into his eyes. "Your not going in there just the two of you Callie. It's not safe" he answers back in the same tone in which spoke to him.

I sigh and shake my head before making eye contact with him again furrowing my eyebrows "you know I'm getting really fucking fed up of men telling me what is safe and what isn't. I'm a grown ass woman and I managed perfectly fine before you showed up" I yell at him as I poke him in the chest. He scoffs and takes his hand back off the door before storming away. I shake my head at Naomi who just smiles back at me and I unlock the door.

"Callie, is that you" I hear Luca ask as Naomi and I enter the room. He is huddled against the wall dirty and bloody, only wearing a pair of underwear. His hands and feet are swollen and purple. I turn to Naomi and ask her to close the door slightly before I pass her a chair and we sit a few feet from the door, keeping our distance from Luca who is on a short chain near the wall, unable to move more than a few feet.

I stay silent and watch him, trying to find the courage I need for what I'm about to do. Luca continues to try and speak to me but I zone him out unintentionally as memories quickly started flashing in my head. He had been my best friend, Luca had helped me through the darkest moments of my life but now he had added more trauma to it. I was heartbroken that someone I trusted so much, could treat me the way he had.

I flinch back to reality as I hear his groans and the chain rattle as he tries to move into my eyesight. "Callie please. Listen to me. I'll tell you everything". He pleads as I look back at him. I nod and his face shows the look of relief. "Speak" Naomi grunts, obviously angry at the fact I'm giving him the chance to speak in the first place.

"I just wanted to keep you safe Callie. With all the warehouses being hit and then the attack on the gala happened. I just had to get you out. You have to believe me when I say I didn't mean to hurt you. I just wanted to keep you safe" Luca spits out looking at me with pleading eyes. I hear Naomi scoff before shuffling in her seat. "This is all something I already know Luca. Tell me something I don't know" I glare at him as his eyes move between Naomi and I.

Luca shakes his head "I don't know what you want to know. Callie please just tell me. If I know anything I'll tell you. I swear it." He continues to plead. I look at Naomi who has a massive grin on her face "why are you so worried about the warehouse hits? Why would you need to protect Callie from it" she asks Luca before she turns to me. I smile back at her before standing up.