CHAPTER 1

“Hi Rye, could you please to open your mic for a bit and introduce yourself? We haven’t heard from you yet since class started, and we're about end soon, so if you may.” our values education teacher asked before dismissing us. She was smiling, so I guess he couldn't refuse.

“Good morning, ma’am." He said, and my phone started vibrating like an angry wasp's nest: receiving notifications from my friends left and right. Gosh, that guy had a deep voice, what do you expect from my friends?

To be honest, I was attracted to him as well, but I didn’t do anything to join their squeal. I just acted like it was nothing, but of course, I was telling myself to calm down, and besides, I had no plans of entertaining anyone back then, but then again, a small crush did begin to form.

I didn't put much thought into it really; instead I continued on with my usual routine. I just learned that his name was Rye, nothing more, nothing less.

I was trudging by with my academics up until the last quarter of the school year.
"Just a few more weeks and 7th grade is over!" I shouted to myself, feeling happy and accomplished that I managed to survived another school year amidst the pandemic.

While I was stuffing myself into schoolwork that was due this week, I happened to receive a notification from Jaxon: my childhood friend whom I recently got to catch up with through all these years of disconnection. He was just asking how I've been this week, and yeah, we talked and laughed across our screens like fools would, until we reached a topic.

He said that his cousin, Rye Lee, was also a Specsci student, but he wasn't in the same section as me.

Guess who finally squealed in excitement and assumed that his childhood friend's cousin and that guy from the values education class were the same person.
So I replied: "Wait... Rye, is your cousin? Bro, he got almost every girl squealing during class a while back, he's a bonafide hottie.

After I sent that reply, I chatted in our friend group's GC to see if it was the same person, and even asked my cousin if they knew that person's full name.
Despite my excitement, it turned out that Jaxon's cousin wasn't the same guy.

The guy from values education class was Caleb Rye.
He and Jaxon's cousin, Rye Lee, were not the same. I immediately texted Jaxon again to say that I assumed that his cousin was the same guy.

"Gosh, Kylie!!" I thought, embarrassed, flustered and frustrated.

"Well, I guess I should finish some work and try not to think about it. It's just a crush; what's the worst that could happen? You've been there before, and in the end, you eventually forget they exist because you're busy with school," I reassured myself with some taps to my cheeks.

Having a crush wasn't really a hindrance to me. I always thought of them as inspiration, but I never thought of crossing that line. 

For me, it was normal to have so many crushes in their teenage life. But of course, some didn't even have a role in my life, for I always forget that I knew their presence until I met them again. 

Typical of me, honestly. I have my priorities set already.

Different crushes come with different emotions to discover, for some. Not everyone experiences this type of discovery when they are infatuated.

And that goes the same with Caleb. 

I don't know him that much and I don't have a plan to make a huge impact in his life as well. Admiring from afar till this infatuation fades isn't so bad for someone who have bigger dreams right? Plus, almost everyone that i know is lining up to get him.

I don't think that I'd get a chance if I wanted to take my first risk.

I'm already content with the people in my life. I have my family and friends. Adding someone as big as them wouldn't hurt, but of course, it's something that I'm too young to decide.

I wouldn't want myself to be part of this generation in which they already have someone in their life at this age. Not that I hate it; I'm actually happy for them. It's just that it's something I wouldn't decide with an immature mind.

Besides, I don't want to exhaust myself with too many responsibilities. Growing up, I always performed it, and everybody around me knows how tiring it is for a kid to take on a responsibility that is not appropriate for their age.

But somehow it helped me open my eyes to the true meaning of reality.

Love can always wait, and it is always patient, so I won't rush things with anyone for now.

Instead, I'll focus on building a future for myself.