Chapter 8: Meeting the highest in command.

Silence fills the space between them as Mono and Six look at each other with shock. The boy then shows bullet eyes to his 'friend.'

"Why is she here?"

"???"

"???"

Mono eventually is the one to act first, and looks behind at the person sitting at the desk, Susio Yamato, who sits comfortably and looks Mono not to do anything foolish. Then, he turns to Six, who still stares at Mono.

"######"

Not understanding anything from the teacher, Mono retreats inside for Six and walks to his seat, looking irritated at the appearance of Six, who sits on the chair on the other side of the pristine huge oval wooden table in the middle of the room.

The room they sit in is modern, with calm cyan walls and large windows on both sides behind the teacher. And it's filled with a dreamy twilight shining through the aforementioned glass.

Multiple pictures in various sizes hang on the wall, and Mono can't understand the art.

One has some random devices that look like watches. Ones are similar to the ones on Six, Shichi, and Susio's wrists.

Another has the symbols of various animals. An eagle. A tiger. A snake. A sloth. All circle around an owl as if it is their leader. Mono thinks that's a strange picture.

However, those are nothing as pristine and big as the portrait behind the teacher. A giant picture of a young, gorgeous, and noble woman wielding a laser sword.

Finally, The adult sits on the nearest dark wooden desk to the window and behind Six, who doesn't avoid Mono but seems to want to talk to him.

"I..."

That makes him annoyed. Therefore, Mono moves to the chair near one of the windows, leaving Six startled and wordless as he walks away. And he doesn't look back.

"How are your condition?"

The adult says something, at which Mono stays silent, knowing that the question isn't for him but for Six, whatever that means.

"Though there're some concerns with my..."

Mono keeps his eyes on the window.

"I'm recovered to some degrees."

"That's good news."

"...Why do you call us here?"

Mono becomes slightly annoyed when he has to hear and not be able to understand what they're talking about.

And though he has decided against killing her as the adult won't let that happen anytime soon, he still doesn't want to dwell in the same air with her. After the things she has done to him, their old friendship will not return.

The face of the betrayer at the moment makes his blood boil.

On the other hand, her act of caring and sympathy last night was so unexpected that it troubles him to think about the intentions of those actions, and that makes him have a headache.

To distract himself from thinking too much, Mono looks outside the window and suddenly feels nostalgic at the scenery of the dawn horizon, temporarily forgetting about others.

The sun hasn't risen enough to shine through, and the clear view of the skyline allows him to observe the magnificent twilight dawn.

It isn't something he usually sees in the Pale City. In fact, he thinks about it, he has only seen such a clear sky once before. The never-ending cloud flying over the City stays there as early as he becomes self-aware. There's never a ray of light. And it has remained the way for ages.