十八 under fire (part one)

(warning - violence)

You happily ran along the shoreline.

The sand on your feet, waves gently rolling in.

Smell of the sea, gentle breeze blowing through your hair.

"Look at me!" you called out.

"Shiina baby you're going to get yourself into trouble-"

But you had already ran and dived into the water, in your clothes.

It was the night before Shouga was leaving to go on another long business trip.

He had promised to walk down to the beach with you, and he did.

You popped out of the water, laughing as you saw him crossing his arms shaking his head at you.

"You look... dry."

"Baby please don't-"

But you were already running towards him completely soaked from head to toe. Hair sticking to your back, as you burst into a fit of laughter.

You ran and jumped into his arms, and he lifted you up,

"My baby girl is getting big!"

He gently sat you back down on your feet smiling at you.

You spoke immediately, leaning into him as you hugged his waist,

"I've been big. You're just always gone."

His smile faded as he heard your words, because he knew it was true.

He gently grabbed your chin and tilted your head up so you were looking him in his eyes, gently stroking your cheek with his thumb.

"Shiina baby. You know I wish I could be here with you more than anything."

The two of you continued to walk along the shore, the wonderful sound of waves crashing gently against the sand. The moonlight shining down, reflecting on the ocean.

You stopped a moment and looked up at the sky. Your eyes darting from the stars to the moon.

You turned to look at Shouga.

"What is your dream?"

He put his hands in his pockets and looked at you.

"My dream?"

He smiled.

"My dream would be to have you by my side forever."

"I will always be by your side," you responded without hesitation,

"But I meant more of your dream with work. You're always away doing something. What's your dream? What are you trying to accomplish?"

He couldn't help the grin that formed on his lips.

Even at 14 you were so perceptive.

Asking insightful questions.

You may not have known all of the dirty details of what he did for work, but he could certainly answer your question honestly.

"Shiina, my love it's not a 'dream' because dream implies it might not come true."

He paused.