chapter 11

-Alita-

"Alitaaaa!" Almost immediately after stepping out of the den Nanku and xeith latched onto my sides. I laughed and greeted them both. "Hey guys-"

"We missed you so much!" Nanku whined.

"Azriel Has been way too moopy with you gone!" Keith complained.

"It's been so boring around here without you and Kora has to stay on bed rest all the time!"

Azriel pulled them both off of me, annoyed by their banter already. "she isn't going to be running off to the forest to play with you two either. You forget she is also carrying a kit! You can't be so reckless."

They both tried to break free from his hold. "We weren't going to do anything dangerous! You just don't want to share her! " Nanku replied.

"Yeah just because you were so broody and sad you want to keep Alita to yourself and not let anyone else hang out with her!" xeith exclaimed, sticking his tongue out in a childish fashion.

"Why you-" Azriel Grew even more annoyed with the two boys and their antics.

"Nanku, xeith- please everyone is excited to have alita back with us. But Azriel and her deserve some time together most of all, especially with the circumstances." A familiar voice cut in.

We all looked over to see Tarkov and a few others coming back from a hunt. Including a few faces I didn't quite recognize.

As they approached they bowed in greeting and I smiled giving a small bow in return. "It's good to see that you have returned, I almost couldn't believe it when the border patrol mentioned it." Tarkov breathed.

"It's good to be back, and I'm glad to see you are doing well." My gaze moved to the three strangers behind him.

"We've had a good number of newcomers join us since you were last here." Azriel spoke up as He came to stand beside me.

Tarkov stepped aside to let the three strangers step forward. Two of them looked to be about Azriels age and The third was a bit older.

"kaizen, sivash, and ishkan. They traveled From faraway Villages in the north and east after hearing about What we were doing."

I looked between Azriel and Tarkov, confused. "What were you doing?"

Azriel held me against his front wrapping his arms around my belly protectively. "Before It was merely To try and grow our numbers to protect ourselves Since kora is pregnant but now that you are here as well it's to keep both of you and the babies safe from any hostile tribes."

My eyes widened in realization. I hadn't even thought about how others might respond to a Hybrid baby being born between the two races. Humans fear xandisians and wanted to kill my child before it could be born. But other Tribes like the netaris who hate humans... they may actively come after us when they discover the existence of hybrid babies.

My arms anxiously wrapped around my middle at the thought. "We've gathered a good number of people in the past moon cycle and hope to gain more as time passes. The more we have the less likely anyone shall bother us. Even the netaris would not be foolish enough to attack our home if outnumbered." Tarkov assured.

"That's reassuring but where are all these new people going to stay? The cavern doesn't have that many dens."

"that won't be much of an issue." the older man named Ishkan spoke up. "The tribe's up north do not live in caves like this, we build our homes out of wood, Stone, and other resources that can be found anywhere. We've already started preparing to make such structures outside the cavern entrance. We should have a few built before the cold season sets in."