chapter 3

–4 days later– 

I stared blankly at the ballroom before me as numerous aristocrats frolicked and danced around with each other or engaged in gossip and talk of recent trends or rumors.

I used to find these kinds of parties fun, even if the celebration had nothing to do with me, but now? Now I feel isolated and exposed to the world. 

This is nothing like the feasts and celebrations held by the xandisians who all are truly celebrating something and give the event meaning. No these party's are more like a battlefield of their own.

All these people are here for is information, events like these allow them to go around freely talking about recent events or rumors that may aid them somehow in the political world. They all smile and play nice but what they are really after are deep dark secrets or weaknesses that may be exposed through a slip of a few choice words.

That's something my father taught me early on. You can never expose yourself in these types of places no matter how much you are attacked or ridiculed. And never let them turn you into prey.

I nearly smiled at the idea. On xanadis it's your life that's always on the line. There's always that chance that any wrong move could get you eaten by some monstrous creature. I suppose in a way I had gotten used to that… it was so much simpler than here on krosa.

On krosa it's not as simple. You need not worry of a giant man eating animal swallowing you whole. No, the real danger is in the company around you, the people who want to tear you down and take whatever power you have away so that they may rise and become even stronger.

None of these people have ever truly faced death.

I think perhaps that's why I feel so out of place. Because I'm no longer the same person that left krosa. I no longer feel like I belong, even though I spent my entire life upon this ship. 

Lifting my gaze I found varin across the room speaking to a couple we've known for years. People I once felt close to looked like strangers to me… varin on the other hand seemed completely relaxed and in his rightful environment, smiling and laughing along with the others in the room.

Not far from him I could see officer Zena standing by, overlooking the entire room with her guards, keeping watch over everything. It wasn't hard to catch the glances they gave each other every now and then.

Lowering my gaze I turned away from the scene, feeling my chest constrict ever so slightly.

After a few moments a glass filled with with a bubbly yellow drink was held out directly in front of me by a calloused hand.

Looking up I found it was none other than the admiral standing before me holding out the glass for me to take while he surveyed the room.

When I didn't react his gaze moved to me and he cleared his throat. “No need to worry, it's non-alcoholic. Just some apple cider. You looked like you needed something to drink and this seemed like the most reasonable option considering your…situation.” his voice trailed off and he looked down then back towards the party.

This was. Unexpected? I stared at the glass a bit nervous to take it I still worry about xandisian customs on food offerings even now. “Thanks.” I hesitantly took the glass and sniffed it before taking a small sip. Sure enough it was apple cider. 

Despite that I still felt unsure about all of this, I mean… Why is the admiral approaching me and being so– considerate?

“I'm sure you are confused and possibly even a bit intimidated by my approach. I hope you'll forgive me, for I'm not usually a man for such…interactions. You just seemed about as miserable as I am, being at this party.”