January (2-14)

Prompt Theme: So sweet, it makes your teeth hurt.

By: studioDeathTrap

♡♡

I had a lot of people tell me I'm too sweet for my own good.

"You're too much of a goody too shoes."

"Stop being such a positive pot of weed. You're killing my high, bruh."

"You're too sweet, Ninad. Sometimes you make my teeth hurt."

Yeah, that last one was particularly harsh. Especially coming from a girl with a self-proclaimed "sugar addict". Let me remind you, I've only been seeing for a her, for what, three weeks? And after a great night out, with arms and legs tied around each other, she looks in my eyes, breathes in the taste of my lips, and says these exact words without batting another eye.

I didn't realise she was breaking up with me until a week later, when she had to spell it out for me.

Ever since that day, I've been thinking about what she told me. That I'm too sweet. I'm too nice. Does that mean I'm artificial? That makes no sense, if I was artificial, I'd be more worried about giving cancer than a toothache.

But then again, I guess they're not far off. Ever since waking up that fateful day, being told the terrible news by the doctors, I've felt a part of me fade away.

Slowly.

Gradually.

I'm not impulsive anymore.

I'm not irritated as much as before.

I'm not as outspoken or even passionate anymore.

Dedicated, absolutely. But it's as if my heart isn't in it anymore.

And how can it even be? After all, it was in your hands. It still is. And after all this time, I keep hoping you'll wake up from your hospital bed beside me. That you will have not truly forsaken me, drifted off to a peace so dreadfully permanent it threatens to leave me cold and dead.

But Nerida, if I must honor my promise to you, I cannot follow you down. I must stay here. For both our sakes. And if I can't feel anything as much as before, I'd rather be too sweet than sour.

I'd rather be safe than destructive. Because if not, then I'll be with you before you ever blink.