Chapter 26: Reunion

We went and got our bags just as the ship arrived to the port. As we stepped onto the deck, we saw the pirates being dragged away in handcuffs and Amelia talking to the cops. Delbert saw us and walked up to us. "You two go find Sarah. I'll find you later after I give my testimony." He said. Before I could respond, Jim grabbed my wrist and pulled me into the crowd. It was bittersweet walking off the ship that became home.

My heart leapt into my throat as we searched the crowds for Sarah. Or my mom. I really hope that Jim's theory holds true because I want to know my family history. As we searched, some guilt entered my mind. If Sarah really is my mom, then I held all that hatred towards a woman that didn't deserve it. Her child was taken by an unknown person years ago and it's possible she thinks I'm dead. I snapped out it. Pretty soon we found her. She's wearing a dress with a white top and blue skirt, a white shawl over her shoulders and a bonnet with a blue ribbon. Jim went and touched her shoulder, making her turn around.

Her eyes widened in surprise to see her son, and how tall he'd gotten. He pulled her into a hug. When he released her, she looked at me and her mouth dropped in shock. I don't blame her, as I'd gotten a little taller too and gained a few pounds on the ship. That shock turned into happiness and she pulled me into a hug. I was completely caught off guard and awkwardly hugged her back, not knowing what to do. When she released me, Moprh popped up and snuggled against her face.

Delbert came and found us later and informed us that Amelia was getting medical attention for her wounds at a clinic. Jim's eyes widened as he remembered something. "Hey Emma, we should get your arm checked out too." He said. I looked at him in confusion before I realized.

"Why?" Sarah asked. I rolled up my sleeve to show a blood soaked bandage. Needless to say, I was rushed to a clinic for an emergency appointment. When the receptionist saw my bandage, she immediately took me into a room. I sat on the bed waiting for a nurse with the four in the room in me. After waiting for a while, Jim spoke.

     "Mom, I think she may be my sister." He said. Sarah looked at him like he just grew another head.

     "That can't be possible Jim." She said.

     I pulled out the blanket from my pocket and handed it to her. "I found this on the ship, and I think you'd want this back." I said. She stared at the blanket like she just saw a ghost. With shaking hands, she grabbed it from my hand, tears forming in her eyes.

     "H-How? I thought this was gone?"

    "We don't really know, and we need a DNA test done to be sure."

     That's when a nurse walked in. He was a turtle like humaniod, with a small beak, blue-gray skin, hazel eyes and fins for arms. He had everything he needed in the room and after some questioning about my medical history, which I wasn't really comfortable answering, he peeled off the old ones. He was amazed that a wound that required stitches didn't get infected. He cleaned it out before stitching and putting on new bandages. "Is there any discomfort with the new bandages?" He asked when he finished wrapping the bandages on my arm.

      I shook my head. "Can I get an DNA test done?" I asked.

     "Why would you need one?"

     "I think I may be her daughter but I don't know."

     He nodded in understanding and took samples from the humans. Jim, Sarah, and I all spat in separate cups and the nurse said the results would be in soon. He would mail them to Delbert's house, where we'll be saying until the Inn is repaired. I was given orders to check with a local doctor on Montressor while my arm heals. On the way back to Montressor, Jim showed Sarah the pile of treasure that would be used to fund the rebuilding.