Chapter 11: Spider Psycho

Jim slapped the mop onto the deck. "Yeah, I got your Mr. Mop." He mumbled sarcastically. I was slapped my mop onto the deck as well and continued the chore. Up and down, then side to side. It was how I mopped back home. I went over the area a few more times making sure that it was clean. I know that Silver won't do something bad to me but a little voice whispered in my head that he will if it's not clean. I was so absorbed in the task and my thoughts that I didn't hear the pounding footsteps. Suddenly, I shoved to the side by a tall and muscular four armed crewman. I would've fallen overboard if it weren't for the wooden pegs holding the ropes to the ship. I looked up at him, feeling my heart drop to my stomach from how tall he was. I was practically a toy next to him.

"Watch it, twerp." He said in a booming voice. I said nothing as he walked away. I heard a set of footsteps, softer than the last coming towards me.

    "Are you okay?" Jim asked. "You're shaking."

    I looked down at my hands and saw that he was right. I was shaking like a leaf. What could he have done if he was angrier? I don't want him even think about that. "Emma?"

    I looked at Jim and nodded to reassure him. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me." I said, forcing my hands to stop shaking. That response felt forced coming from my mouth. The same response I'd always give when Vincent or Maven asked me about my condition after a beating. I could've had a black eye, busted lip, or some glass sticking from my arm but that response was always the same. I can't be dependent on someone now. There's no time for it. He opened his mouth to say something but whispering caught his attention. He turned his head to the source and I looked too.

     There were three more crewmen whispering among themselves about something. I know what they're talking about. Flint's trove and the mutiny that they have planned. I could tell by looking at them they want to over take the ship now but we're not even close to the planet yet. One of them noticed us and tapped another on his arm. All three looked at us in surprise. Jim slapped the mop on the deck again while I just held the handle tight. "What are you looking at weirdos?" The tall crewman with red shorts and a blue beanie on his head asked.

     The head crawled off the body using his hair as legs as the body's arms uncrossed revealing a face on the abdomen. "Yeah, weirdos?" The 'body' said. I glanced at Jim and saw that he was freaked out by that. Anyone else would but I've seen this on a screen before and watching it in real life was... something else. We heard hissing and looked up. I gripped my mop tight when I saw the spider-crab hybrid crawling towards us. He had six long legs, two claw, a brown hat over long gray hair, big yellow eyes and two sharp fangs poking out from the bottom of his mouth.

"Cabin kids should learn to mind their own business." He said in a deep yet soft voice, practically a whisper. It wasn't the kind of whisper that would be comforting. It was one that screamed death threats. He drew out the 's' in his speech like a snake. He sneered down at us.

"Why?" Jim questioned. "You got something to hide bright eyes?" I looked at him in utter terror. He's not the type of guy to insult!

     "Jim, don't." I mumbled. I grabbed onto his sleeve and gave it a light tug to tell him to stop. He just yanked his arm from my grip. I gulped as my heart started beating faster. The spider sneered and grabbed Jim by his collar.

     "Maybe your ears don't work so well." He hissed.

     Jim's nose wriggled in disgust. He grunted from the horrible smell. "Yeah." He mumbled before clearing his throat. "Too bad my nose works just fine."

     The spider's eyes widened in offense. "Why, you impudent little—" He slammed Jim onto the mast, grabbing the attention of the crew. They all formed a circle around the two, pushing me to the outer edge. They started shouting as they wanted to see blood shed.