Chapter 9: Gaining Evidence

——————————🎧——————————

Nimóne burst into the small tower with a grunt, anger evident on his face.

"Are you okay?" (Y/n) asked.

"I don't want to talk about it." He snapped.

"I know something's wrong." She persisted.

"I said I don't wanna talk about it!" He repeated.

"I'm just trying to help."

"I don't want your help!" Nimóne yelled, flipping a table over.

He panted heavily, his back to (Y/n) and Ballister. Eventually he calmed down and his anger was replaced with sadness.

"Did you see the way that little girl looked at me? Kids. Little kids. They grow up believing that they can be a hero if they drive a sword into the heart of anything different. And I'm the monster?!...I don't know what's scarier. The fact that everyone in this kingdom wants to run a sword through my heart...or that sometimes...I just wanna let 'em." He confessed.

(Y/n) gasped lightly at his words. She slowly approached him from behind, and wrapped her arms around his middle in a comforting hug. Nimóne spun around and wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly.

Ballister looked at the two of them with a sad expression. "We have to get you out of here." He decided.

Nimóne raised his brows in confusion. "Where would I even go?"

"We'll go over the wall." (Y/n) suggested. "We won't stop until we find someplace safe. We'll go together."

He looked at her in surprise. "...Together?"

"Listen, you were right about everything." Ballister admitted. "The institute, the wall...Ambrosius. No matter what we do, we can't change the way people see us."

"You changed the way you see me. Didn't you?" Nimóne asked him. "Both of you did."

Ballister looked back at him and smiled.

"We can't let the Director get away with this." He insisted. "We shouldn't have to run. And you made a deal, right? We clear your name, you make me your side-kick. And you can't back out in a deal because you believe in truth and honor and blah, blah, blah. All that stupid stuff." Nimóne joked.

Ballister chuckled. "Truth and honor aren't stupid, but alright."

"So, you got a plan?" (Y/n) asked.

Ballister scoffed. "Of course I have a plan. Something, something, something..."

Nimóne smiled. "We win."

...

The Director sat in her office, searching through various footage of Nimóne when the doors suddenly burst open and Ambrosius walked in.

"We need to talk!" He demanded. "Alone..."

The knights in the room left, and Ambrosius strode up to the Director's desk.